This page has moved to a new address.

And Now A Word From Our Winners

A Girl and Her Gun: And Now A Word From Our Winners

Saturday, April 7, 2012

And Now A Word From Our Winners

Both of our latest Give-A-Way winners wrote me a little note to share with all of you.  I am so excited for them and for the opportunity to be an encouragement to them as they embark on this new adventure of self reliance and self protection. 

From winner #28
I entered this contest because I have recently purchased my first gun, and now I want to become the most proficient at using it that I ever can be. Seeing how the state of the world has become so violent and crime-riddled, I didn't feel safe any longer, even in my own home. That's when I realized that I had to let go of my old fears of owning and shooting a weapon, and take the proverbial bull (barrel) by the horns. You see, I was a student of Yoga, a pacifist, and against the death penalty, and guns didn't seem to have any place in my lifestyle. All of that has changed as this world has changed so much as to be unrecognizable from my childhood world. We could safely play outdoors at night then, unafraid of monsters lurking in the shadows who would hurt us.

After studious searches over the internet, I decided on a Glock 19, 9mm semi-automatic handgun as my first gun purchase, and a Browning Buck Mark .22 handgun for practice and fun, as my second gun. The Glock 19 seemed like a gun that could protect myself and my family if the need ever arose and we were invaded in our own home. I just wanted to at least having a fighting chance should someone decide to break-in and physically harm me or mine. Being that I am a mere 5'3" and handicapped with life-long rhuematoid arthritis, I wouldn't have stood a chance if someone wanted to overpower me and/or harm me. I know from personal experience what it's like to be assaulted and violated in the worst way. I was once held captive at knifepoint for hours, and raped by someone whom I knew and thought I could trust. I never ever want to be so helpless again and brutalized at some madman's whim. I am ecstatic that I'm going to be able to take the classes to learn how to shoot the gun, and clean it, and to act responsibly and legally with all aspects of gun ownership. With all the support and encouragement here at A Girl And Her Gun's blog and FB page, I am taking control of my life, standing tall and facing my past and future fears of the known, and the unknown ... and I've never felt stronger nor more capable of changing my life, than I do right now with all of you and your support and friendship. Thank you for making this possible. I can hardly wait to set-up the classes and get out to the firing range.

Kindest Regards,

Mazie


And from winner #20
I can't thank everyone enough for their support and generosity in offering this! I just got my CCW permit, but haven't carried yet. Been contemplating an M&P 9mm, need holster, training, range time, etc., I really want to take hands-on training from Thomas Sipin, and this will really help me get some proper instruction that I need.

About a month ago, we had a tactical situation a couple blocks from my work. He ended up running from the house, and they were reports that he ducked into one of the businesses Therefore, they were checking businesses and I just kept thinking, "WHAT am I going to do if he runs in here? WHERE can I go? WHY haven't I made this a priority?" Obviously, that was my big wake up call to make it a higher one. I felt panicky, helpless, and mad at myself.

So excited and stunned yet... I'm having a hard time finding the words to show my appreciation and gratitude.

Bless you all, and thank you from the bottom of my heart! Be SAFE and thank you for sharing your insight, comments and all that I have learned and will continue to learn from.

~ Colleen
 
 

13 Comments:

At April 7, 2012 at 5:21 AM , Blogger Tango Juliet said...

Congratulations and best of luck to you both!

 
At April 7, 2012 at 5:27 AM , Blogger Old NFO said...

And I need to know where to send ammo... Just sayin...

 
At April 7, 2012 at 5:28 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Lol, I know, I know. I am slackin. I will send you an email soon:)

 
At April 7, 2012 at 7:37 AM , Anonymous Yoga Mat said...

Congrats for the great crack down yeah. I am happy to read. keep it up

 
At April 7, 2012 at 8:21 AM , Blogger Leah said...

Well, I think the right ladies won the contest! You girls are going to be armed and fabulous! The bad guys better but mess with you again. Congratulations and asking God's best in your training and range time.

Mazie, the Glock 19 is my gun too! I don't have it yet, but I'm working on it, and making everyone around me nauseous in the meantime. I love holding that gun (rented at the range), I love saying its name, I love seeing it in people's photos, and if anyone fights off a bad guy with a Glock 19, well, I can barely handle that kind of thrill! You will love it; let AGirl know how you like it after you get your training underway.

 
At April 7, 2012 at 12:22 PM , Blogger Mazie said...

Although I really do love the Glock, I'm replacing it with another gun that has a less stocky/thick grip on it. It's just too wide for me to really adequately hold well because my hands are small, and arthritic. A new friend I recently met, Bruce Gray, a wonderful man who knows everything it seems about guns, encouraged me to try the Ruger SP101 .327 mag stainless steel, or a Smith & Wesson .327 steel model. I do want a revolver for sure, but I will also be replacing the 9mm, which one I don't know yet. In May I am going to the local gun show and hope to find something there that will work for me. I hope I never ever have to use it in a dangerous situation, but I'm glad that if the need arose at least I wouldn't be at a disadvantage. "Fighting off a bad guy with a Glock 19" imho, is no situation that prompts 'thrill' for me. To be terrorized and frightened for your life, even if one is carrying a gun, even if one overcomes the violator and wins in that situation, somber would better qualify my attitude. I do appreciate what you're saying though, the idealization of not being violated by a criminal and coming out on top, it does speak of a thrill at surviving and making it out alive. Thank you for your congrats and support, Leah, it means so much to me. I'm so happy and honored to be here with you and all the rest of those who gather here. I'll be sure to share notes and photos when I get my class started, and when I purchase my new guns.

 
At April 7, 2012 at 1:13 PM , Blogger Leah said...

Ohhh, Mazie, I re-read what I wrote, and yes, should have worded that one better. The thrill is only because the gun "worked" and did what it was capable of doing, working on behalf of the threatened person to preserve life.

Ah, text. It is just not as good as the real thing, so forgive me if what I say doesn't come out right. I promise you that if it were you, me, and two cups of coffee, you would have understood me perfectly. :)

 
At April 7, 2012 at 2:42 PM , Blogger Mazie said...

I completely relate and appreciate it, Leah, truly. To have the gun work and everything go right in such a situation, indeed, that is a thrill beyond words I'm sure. I mentioned it because only recently my range master counselled me on never saying anything that might imply you wanted to shoot someone or would be thrilled to shoot someone, or that it was a planned thing. He said that later on when that criminal sues you (and he/she may well do just that!), they would bring it out that you had said you wanted to do so in advance, or that in your planning to shoot someone, it would be a thrill. The victim is made out to be the criminal. I would love to sit and have coffee with you, too, and I'm so glad we've met here and we can be friends and fellow-enthusiasts together. I love how excitedly you spoke of your Glock. I'm so much like you that you wouldn't believe it, Leah. Indeed, if we could but see one another's happy, smiling, gun-conversing mugs, we'd know in an instant what we speak of, and why. Thanks so much for all your support. It's the best! We are so lucky-blessed to be a part of this group of wonderful folks, sharing our lives together, and helping one another to learn how to live safely, and how to help others to live safely, and happily, too.

 
At April 7, 2012 at 9:11 PM , Blogger Keads said...

Congrats to you both! I look forward to sending you Midway USA gift certificates. Enjoy this journey. I applaud your efforts.

 
At April 7, 2012 at 9:57 PM , Blogger Larry said...

AGirl, this is an awesome thing that you do. Congrats to the winners.

 
At April 8, 2012 at 6:17 AM , Blogger Mazie said...

Your generosity and encouragement are applaudable, Keads! What can I say? It's people like you who make this a better world by being a shining example to all. My gratitude is enormous, my newfound Friend. Thank you! Have a Joyous Easter, and know how much your actions and words are appreciated.

 
At April 8, 2012 at 6:26 AM , Blogger Mazie said...

You are so kind and so generous to offer this to the winners, Old NFO! I am so grateful to you, to AGirl, and all the others who have done this marvelous thing to encourage us newbies in acquiring the proper training and experience in handling and using firearms. Thank you so very much! What a boon you are to the community.

 
At April 8, 2012 at 8:00 PM , Blogger 45er said...

I'm so glad more people are benefiting from Agirl's experience and gaining the ability to protect themselves. Glock and M&P are both good choices. Revolvers have their place and I love them. They do take more work to be able to run them really well (proper use of speed-loaders), but if you're willing to put in the time they are a fantastic tool.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home