This page has moved to a new address.

A New Drill (and also I am an idiot)

A Girl and Her Gun: A New Drill (and also I am an idiot)

Sunday, April 1, 2012

A New Drill (and also I am an idiot)

I have been wracking my brain all day trying to figure out where on earth the rod for my M&P backstrap could be.  It just did not make sense that it could fall out.  I talked it over with John and  he could not imagine how it would fall out either.  When I hung up the phone from John, for whatever crazy reason, I thought maybe I should check the case that holds all my cleaning gear and guess what...there it was sitting right on top.  I didn't even have to move a single item to find it. I have been carrying my gun for at least a week without the rod in it.  I seriously pride myself on my attention to detail. Not in say writing this blog.  I don't have time to re read and edit.  Way to crazy busy and it's not that important to me, but in things that matter like my health, my kids, and guns I am obsessive. Our safety is paramount, so I check and recheck the doors and alarms. Everything in our house is organized.  Our bills, our wills, our other important information is meticulously filed. My husband forgot to pack ammo once for a range trip(it was packed, but the boxes were empty), but I never forget anything because I check a million times.   I swear I saw the rod in the gun yesterday morning, but clearly I didn't.  Idiot. Anyway, good news is my gun is not crap and the issue is fixed.

My hubby and I went to the range to scratch my itch to do a little training.  I brought my M&P 9mm and a deck of cards as per Mr. Arete's suggestion.  The point of the drill is to help me (or anyone) identify a target and shoot under a little stress.  The drill is to put a variety of cards up and have someone call out different cards and then for me (or anyone) to shoot, hopefully the same target that was called.  We were at an indoor range that was busy and loud, loud, loud.  There was no way I would have been able to hear my husband call out the numbers so we modified the drill.  Basically, I just shot from low ready at a variety of different targets.  The way we modified it does not have the same stress factor, but it was more than just point and shoot at the same ol' paper targets.


This is just a warm up at about 5 yards.  I just took a couple shoots at random cards.

 This is the modified drill at 7 yards.

 At 15 yards. I didn't shoot at one card the whole time.  I switched between several at a fairly quick pace.  Not fast or rapid, but I didn't take much time between each sight picture and shot.  I really love the reset on my trigger.
15 yards with my husband's Glock .23(.40 S&W) You can see my group is not as tight.  That time I was just shooting at the 5 of Hearts.
At 20 yards. The shots off the cards are not mine.  Might have been from when I was trying to shoot at 25 yards.

Beyond 20 yards I didn't hit hardly any targets.  I had a fresh set of cards up, but there were a lot holes in the paper, so I couldn't tell where my shots went, but I know they didn't hit where I was aiming.  Well, a couple did, but not many.  It's the same problem as always.  I can't see.  Even when I just slow down to take the shot, breath and do not worry about time or speed, I can not hit the target, ever. 

We shot about 350 rounds between the two of us and I feel so much more relaxed. However, I still can't wait for Easter to be over.

17 Comments:

At April 1, 2012 at 5:40 PM , Blogger Tango Juliet said...

Slow down! A playing card sized target at 25 yards isn't much of a target.

 
At April 1, 2012 at 5:55 PM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Lol, ok. It's possible my expectations are a little high?????

 
At April 1, 2012 at 6:21 PM , Blogger Old NFO said...

Just a tad bit... :-)

 
At April 1, 2012 at 7:02 PM , Blogger Critter said...

keep 6 hit inside the card at 7 yards, from the hip, and we'll talk. :P

 
At April 1, 2012 at 9:32 PM , Blogger God, Gals, Guns, Grub said...

Try a 9" paper plate... center of mass size every time...

Dann in Ohio

 
At April 2, 2012 at 4:01 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

I can hit a paper plate!! First time I ever tried is when I went with Newbius. He brought one to build my confidence. It worked, but really I am passed the I need to see myself hit the target. I really can shoot pretty well and now want to get better, much better. I think the problem with distance is I can't see. You will have to believe me or ask any of the very qualified people I shoot with, my grib is good, I have a steady hand, I don't anticipate or jerk my trigger pull. I wouldn't say never, but the fundamentals are not my issue. I need to work on breathing better I think...

 
At April 2, 2012 at 7:06 AM , Blogger RabidAlien said...

Personally, anything past 15 yards would fall under the category of "rifle", to me. Still, from my unedumicated point of view, that's some pretty good shootin.

 
At April 2, 2012 at 11:58 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Kirk, when I attended my course at Innovative Defensive Solitions last month, both of the instructors said I should be shooting passed the 20 yard line, with my pistol. I may be overreaching my abilities, but if I don't keep doing what I can't do, how will I ever be able to do it?

 
At April 2, 2012 at 1:29 PM , Blogger God, Gals, Guns, Grub said...

I think the paper plate drill is good for more than just getting hits on paper... if you can develop the ability to make a small group in the center of the plate without a bullseye or other mark to aim at... that's a good skill... like the old "aim small, miss small" saying...

If you have to aim at a man in a black shirt or a red jacket, are you aiming at the whole person's torso... or at the center of the center of the torso... just a thought... unless we could get the bad guys to wear bullseyes...

Dann in Ohio

 
At April 2, 2012 at 1:50 PM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Yes, your right. Bad guys don't wear bullseyes. Your point is well taken, I was just responding to that one idea. I meant I am passed the confidence of just being able to hit a target, any target. That was the main reason Newbius brought the plate. I was really just trying to share a memory of Newbius more than anything.

 
At April 2, 2012 at 1:51 PM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Also, I will hit one playing card at 25 yards one of these days. I don't know when, but I will:)

 
At April 2, 2012 at 7:08 PM , Blogger 45er said...

Shooting past the 20 yard line is a great way to hone your pistol skills. It is a way to fine-tune your trigger press, breathing and grip. However, I always tell people to use caution when considering any shot outside of 15 yards in a defense situation. In other words, they'd better be doing something horrifying or practically shooting at you (or about to). I guess what I'm saying is I use longer distance shooting as a way to train for my shorter distance defensive shooting. If you need to use it out that far, then it's good if you can make the hits, but I want to think through any scenario (beforehand) that might have me taking that kind of shot.

 
At April 2, 2012 at 7:09 PM , Blogger 45er said...

Oh yeah, and great shooting! Are you grouping relatively well from the longer range? If so, it may be just where the round is hitting from that range.

 
At April 2, 2012 at 7:18 PM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

45er, I am not looking for trouble. I do not think I will be a roof somewhere trying to take someone out with my pistol. I started shooting at beyond 20 years because some trainers told me to and I keep doing it because I am very good and I don't like that:). I pretty much do what I can't do until I can.

 
At April 2, 2012 at 7:19 PM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Today is the first time my groupings from distance started to resemble a group.

 
At April 2, 2012 at 7:46 PM , Blogger 45er said...

I know you're not out there trying to snipe with your pistol. I figured you were doing what you are doing because it helps your pistol-craft. Oh yeah, it's also a lot of fun. We always shoot longer ranges (50 - 100 yards) for fun with the handguns. You'd be surprised what you can do at that range with regularity. Oh, did I mention it's fun? lol

 
At April 3, 2012 at 12:28 PM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Yeah, it is fun. Crazy fun!!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home