This page has moved to a new address.

Another Woman New To The World Of Guns

A Girl and Her Gun: Another Woman New To The World Of Guns

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Another Woman New To The World Of Guns

The other day I got an email from a woman who wanted to enter the Give-A-Way and along with her information she included a little bit about why she decided to enter.  This is what she wrote...

I have already got my class picked out if I win! There is a group called CA Gun Girls who have their own office on my local range's property, and I would love some training from them!

Thank you for what you do. I'm so sorry that you had to go through a traumatic experience; I wish you could have gotten into guns without a perpetrator being involved. I'm new to guns, but just got there because of a disturbing new story involving two bad guys with a hunting knife, and one determined mom with a pistol and a newborn to protect. (Her 20-something husband had died only days earlier of cancer, and these jerks were ramming down her door to presumably steal his pain mess.) She successfully killed one and the other fled. But what would I do? Be left a victim. Nope. So I took the basic NRA class and want to keep going! As you can see from my address, I live in a gun-hostile state. I cannot even get my dream gun - Glock 19, Gen 4, bec they only allow the Gen 3s. I cannot carry concealed because I have no "reason" to. So, I am pretty limited but want to learn anyway. Because in the next few years my husband will be moving on to the next rung on the ladder of his career, and maybe, just maybe, we will end up in red state!


I loved that she was being proactive in her life, so I asked her if I could share her story.  I think it's great when a woman takes control and does something to prepare herself before the bad guy has a chance to strike.  She said sure I could share and then sent me an email she sent to The Cornered Cat.  It adds a little more to her story.


Dear Kathy,

I just discovered you 2 days ago and I feel like I owe you so much! Your wonderful, wonderful site has addressed every imaginable concern a woman could have regarding the proper safety/care/use of firearms. Couple that with masterful writing (and impeccable grammar, which is probably my love language) and you have THE most valuable site online for your audience.

Just the night before I discovered the Cornered Cat, I forced my husband to listen to me ruminate once again about all the reasons I was afraid to "pull the trigger" and get that Glock. He has no aversion to me owning and practicing with a firearm - he was raised on a farm in Minnesota and shot/hunted with the men in his family. It is ME who needs convincing that I should be trusted with such a responsibility.


I grew up in rural North Dakota where guns are part of life. Somehow, I managed to avoid exposure to them while my dad and siblings went hunting with rifles and shotguns and took classes called "Hunter Safety." My friends and their families all hunted with guns, I had access to friends' farms had I the notion to learn and practice, and my high school boyfriend's dad was a gunsmith - just think of how rich my early education could have been! But no. Instead, I find myself in my early 30s just beginning to learn about all things handguns.


My sister and I had been wanting CC permits for some time. We married men whose jobs took us far from our the safe land of North Dakota, where keys are left in the ignition and homes are never locked. My sister is on the east coast, and I find myself on the west coast. Our cities are very different from the town of 300 we knew and loved. When this story broke around New Year's this year was the final straw for us.
http://www.kfor.com/news/kfor-blanchard-woman-shoots-and-kills-intruder-20120101,0,2752550.story. This amazing young woman said something that reverberated through me - "There is nothing more dangerous than a mom with a baby." She's right. I am a law-abiding citizen who would not even be intentionally rude...but all that goes right out the window if I think you are after my child.
 

Having wanted to learn about handguns, married to a very busy man and wanting an effective way to protect myself and my little sons, I knew then that it was time to enroll in class. But I was scared because I thought, "You know, if you don't grow up using guns, you probably shouldn't try to learn later in life. How can you really catch up? No patriarch to guide you, you must trust the stranger teaching the class and hope you digest all the vital information from the textbook." But I did it because I figured if I didn't want to continue with it, at least I'd be richer for the experience. I'm so glad I just made myself do it. That NRA Basic Pistol class was lots of fun. And it made me think, "I like it! I can do this."


I came home, threw myself online and started to learn all that I could. Then I got scared again; there were terms I had never encountered, freak accidents being reported, and naysayers that thought women should leave the guns to men. I'm a registered nurse who spent time working in an ER; I have seen what bullets do to human flesh. I have 5 and 3 year old boys; I live in a town home - would I be able to even use my gun without fear of hurting my sons or my neighbors? I had gone from being so excited to learn something new (I'm presently a stay at home mom, and I rarely am away from the kids) to feeling foolish for entertaining such wild notions about range practice and having a lethal weapon around. I felt guilty about spending the extra money, or for knowing I'd need to be away from my family to practice at the range (no way am I bringing them there if I want to get any shooting done). I made myself sign up for the next class so I couldn't quit out of fear, and then began badgering my husband about whether I should have a gun or not.

I felt such sweet relief when I began to read the Cornered Cat's content. Here was a site that understood how I felt and the challenges that I was encountering! Turns out, being a woman who has children and who is a novice does not mean that she does not deserve to learn about and practice with firearms! I was scared to carry before, but I now think that would be a very good option for me in the future, after further study and experience. I cannot carry right now, because my county forbids it for almost everyone. One has to appear before a judge and state the reason one needs to carry. It is so specific; one man I know, who carries tens of thousands of dollars on his person could not obtain one because he doesn't also carry jewels! We don't plan to live here for more than a couple of years, but the next place I live will hopefully allow CC.






How cool is she?  Now, she didn't win the contest, but I hope she will get some training anyway.  Feel free to offer her words of praise and encouragement.















6 Comments:

At April 4, 2012 at 10:30 AM , Anonymous Ben Branam said...

I use to live in southern California and loved shooting. Finally moved to Texas where people are more open about it. Keep learning, it's a life time endeavor, it doesn't matter when you start, you have started and you are already safer then you where. Keep going and enjoy the trip!

If you live in Southern California check out www.ftatv.com. It's owned and operated by a husband and wife who are both police officers and are amazing people and instructors. I've taken half a dozen courses from them. I'm not sure you could find better instructors.

I would also push you towards taking a class with your husband. Get a baby sitter and take a one day course. You will both have fun and it will keep you thinking the same.

Stay Safe,

Ben

 
At April 4, 2012 at 4:51 PM , Anonymous PMain said...

It is possible to get the Gen 4 Glock 19 in CA if your parents are still alive. If they purchase it, you cannot give them the funds for it, & have it send to a CA FFL, you merely have to fill out the intra-family transfer form & pay $19. I am the proud owner of a XDm received as a gift. Only family members that are linearly related - parent, child, grand parent, parent, etc. can supply the firearm. Not brother, sister, etc.

The other way is to have the Glock gun-smithed to a single-shot only.

For more information, I'd suggest checking out calguns.net - a wealth of information on guns laws & rights, as they exist, in CA.

I'll also forward my email address to the blogger if you have any questions.

 
At April 4, 2012 at 6:23 PM , Blogger Leah said...

PMain - really? Because if this is true, that is THE.BEST.NEWS.EVER. I am sure you are right, but how can this be? I have heard about gunsmithing making it possible - but what does making the gun "single shot" mean?

My parents still live back in ND, so they could transfer a gun to me from their state?

So I could have a Gen4 and be at the range and no one would arrest me? As soon as I get my family fed, I'm traipsing over to that website you recommended and will try to ferret more info out about this. Because this left-handed shooter REALLY wants that gun. And if I end up with one, I will have to give you an award or something!
Much thanks,
Leah

 
At April 4, 2012 at 10:46 PM , Blogger Leah said...

PMain, I actually do have one or two questions if you don't mind. Would you be agreeable to giving AGirl your email so I can ask? Or would you like me to message AGirl and have her forward the questions? (Providing you are A-ok with that, AGirl. :) )
Leah

 
At April 5, 2012 at 1:49 PM , Blogger Keads said...

Welcome Leah! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help!

 
At April 5, 2012 at 4:40 PM , Anonymous PMain said...

Follow up, spoke to Leah via email & hopefully have her on her way to legally owning a non-roster pistol in the state of CA. While it's a lot of work, with family in another, "free" state it is possible.

In regards to her question, newer, non-roster pistols can be used if they are gun-smithed to where they can only shoot a single round.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home