This page has moved to a new address.

More Time At The Range

A Girl and Her Gun: More Time At The Range

Thursday, April 5, 2012

More Time At The Range

It's Thursday so I met my husband and his work peeps for an hour of shooting at lunch.  Same 'ol same.  I am out of cards, so I got a couple of man sized targets and did a lot of low ready, aim, shoot, back down and tried to increase the speed between each low ready, aim, shoot.  Just wanting to see if I could improve my accuracy and get a faster sight picture.  Nothing fancy.



These were shot around 12 yards with the trust M&P 9mm




Things were going along swimmingly except that my gun was only locking back 1 out of the 3 times I emptied a magazine.  Put in a magazine nothing, next one slide would lock back, then next one, nope.  I cleaned my gun like Old NFO suggested. Not the problem. Odd. Just kept shooting until my gun jammed. I did the tap, rack, bang, of course, and nothing.  Drop the magazine, rack, nothing.  No jam, look a little closer at the magazine and bullets start pouring out the top and then this...


So, now I am thinking it is the magazines.  The 2 that came with it seem to be fine, but the 2 I bought later for my trip to Memphis, those are the boogers.

14 Comments:

At April 5, 2012 at 11:54 AM , Blogger Old NFO said...

Ah... Yep, magazines CAN and do often cause problems if the feed lips are banged up/pushed too far apart. When I get a bad mag, it goes in the trash to keep my from inadvertently using it at EXACTLY the wrong time... Another possibility, is your thumbs are high enough to hit the slide lock on occasion and lock the slide back. I've done that before and actually had to have someone watch me to see what I was doing wrong.

 
At April 5, 2012 at 12:42 PM , Blogger Tango Juliet said...

Are the two you bought from S&W? Mags are critical as you have learned.

Nice shootin' though!

 
At April 5, 2012 at 12:53 PM , Blogger JD Rush said...

Of my 9c mags had the follower stick and do that to me just once, and never repeated. And it was only the first time I loaded it. I tore it down, nothing looked amiss, and I ran 500+ rounds through them at the range with no problems.

 
At April 5, 2012 at 12:55 PM , Blogger JD Rush said...

If it does it again, I would not use that mag except for range duty. Make sure to mark it.

 
At April 5, 2012 at 1:48 PM , Blogger Keads said...

I have observed that the majority of failure to feed problems in a semi is usually the magazine. What NFO says about hitting the slide stop is true as well.

Nice shooting!

 
At April 5, 2012 at 1:50 PM , Blogger Sport Pilot said...

Make it a habit to number all of the magazines you have for a particular pistol.Then when one start's causing problem's that aren't corrected by a good detailed cleaning and lubrication toss it and buy a replacement.
Another good range drill is to take a package of ballon's with you to the range with some thread or string. Blow up the ballons and tie or tape them to the target. They're not as easy to hit as it may sound.

 
At April 5, 2012 at 6:01 PM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Thanks! I will check out my thumb placements.

 
At April 5, 2012 at 6:02 PM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

They are. I bought them from a local gun store, but yes.

 
At April 5, 2012 at 6:11 PM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

I did the same. I took it apart and nothing looked wrong. Strange.

 
At April 5, 2012 at 6:11 PM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Thanks:)

 
At April 5, 2012 at 6:12 PM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Ugh, I know to do this. Kathy Jackson has said it a number of times, but I haven't. I will fix that tomorrow. Thank you!

 
At April 5, 2012 at 9:29 PM , Blogger Flier389 said...

Them targets look like you launched a base ball through them. That is some good shooting. And, like others have said. Mark them clips, and just use them for the range.

 
At April 6, 2012 at 6:55 AM , Blogger Simms65 said...

If you continue to have issues with that mag (that I hope you marked) I'd suggest you call S&W about it. Their customer service is pretty good and they may just replace it for you. This kind of stuff is why I have mags I test, then load specifically for carry duty. Other mags are just for range time.

 
At April 7, 2012 at 1:59 PM , Blogger 45er said...

Good shooting and I was just about to say what Simms said. If you've got a S&W magazine, make them make it right. Maybe if they fix them, you won't get these back in a tobacco bag. I think S&W uses popcorn bags. They contain a natural lubricant if you use the buttered kind. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home