This page has moved to a new address.

The Few, The Proud

A Girl and Her Gun: The Few, The Proud

Friday, March 16, 2012

The Few, The Proud

I have been follow this blog for a few weeks now and I always walk away with a deeper appreciation for a military I am already intimately in love with.

Today I read a post that the blog writer linked to with passages like...

It is a fact that our country today is in a life and death struggle against an evil enemy, but America as a whole is certainly not at war. Not as a country. Not as a people. Today only a tiny fraction of American families—less than a percent— shoulder the burden of fear and sacrifice, and they shoulder it for the entire nation. Their sons and daughters who serve are men and women of character who continue to believe in this country enough to put life and limb on the line without qualification, and without thought of personal gain and they serve so the sons and daughters of the other 99% don’t have to. No big deal, though, as Marines have always been “first to fight” paying in full the bill that comes with being free…for everyone else. As a friend of mine wrote recently when offering condolences to a family who’d lost a son in Afghanistan: “service to and sacrifice for the nation have become a legacy affair for a relatively small number of families. This nation is blessed to have families who are willing to accept the responsibilities and endure the sacrifices that sustain a way of life cherished by many, but sustained by few." 

 and like...

As I close , I have the name of the most recent hero killed in Afghanistan only a few hours ago but I cannot share with you his name because the a Marine Officer and Navy chaplain have not yet executed their honored duty of notifying the next-of-kin of the death of their son. That family, right now, somewhere in America is in the final minutes of blissful ignorance before their entire lives change forever. I know God will help them bear this inconceivable burden—a burden I am told by those who know never goes away or even gets lighter—and help them find comfort in the fact that their son was doing exactly what he wanted to do, was doing it with the finest men on this earth, and for a cause that meant more to him than his life. The reality is, however, it doesn’t matter if we are comforted, or if we accept it or not, it only matters that he did.

Those words were spoken by John F. Kelly Lieutenant General, U. S. Marine Corps Commander, Marine Forces Reserve and Marine Forces North. I would encourage you to go read the whole thing.

I will be honest, I am not sure what I believe about being in Afghanistan. I know I am sick of war and I am sick of death, but I am mostly sick of the leaders in this country who don't seem to have a clue what they believe. Those that say they believe in taking the fight to the enemy, don't seem to let our men and women fight to win and those who claim to want to bring the troops home, don't. Both sides looking for what is best for them. What I do know is that we, as Americans are putting an awfully big burden on the people we ask to give their lives in service to us. I wonder when we are gonna get fed up and demand better in service of their lives. I am guessing right about the time the enemy comes looking for us over here, again.

*My husband just called me after reading this post to tell me that General Kelly's son. Lt. Robert Kelly, was killed in Afghanistan in 2010. When the young Corporal Kelly was trying to get commissioned, my husband sat on his board. My husband found him to be extremely qualified and extremely cocky. My husband did recommended Cpl Kelly for commission. He kind of likes those qualities in a Marine.

23 Comments:

At March 16, 2012 at 10:30 AM , Blogger North said...

Our leaders don't have beliefs, and as such are subject to the whims of the lightest breeze.

 
At March 16, 2012 at 11:55 AM , Blogger TinCan Assassin said...

I saw this on the net while I was in Afghanistan, and I nodded, and applied it to myself as well(I'm an Army National Guardsman)

"America is not at war. The U.S. Marine Corps is at war. America is at the mall."

 
At March 16, 2012 at 12:26 PM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Well, thank you so much for your service.

 
At March 16, 2012 at 12:27 PM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Yea:(

 
At March 16, 2012 at 1:18 PM , Blogger MSgt B said...

Your cool points just went up.

 
At March 16, 2012 at 3:47 PM , Blogger Old NFO said...

Yep, excellent post... thanks!

 
At March 16, 2012 at 5:57 PM , Blogger GAgal said...

AGirl thank you again for sharing such wonderful posts. Our son leaves on 30 days for Marine Recruiting Station Paris Island and we couldn't be more proud of his decision. It's because of the young men and women who serve that we can enjoy the life that we have in this country. My hope is that one day everyone will understand this.

 
At March 16, 2012 at 7:42 PM , Blogger God, Gals, Guns, Grub said...

"I am mostly sick of the leaders in this country who don't seem to have a clue what they believe."

If you don't stand for something... you stand for nothing...

Amen...

Dann in Ohio

 
At March 16, 2012 at 10:05 PM , Blogger RabidAlien said...

Who was it that said "if the politicians who started the wars were also the ones who fought the wars, then wars would never get started in the first place." Or something along those lines. Very, very true. Another quote (Civil War era, I believe): "wars are started by old men, fought by young men, and finished by old young men."

I have nothing but respect for those who are serving, whether overseas or at home, on the front lines or in support thereof. I don't harbor any illusions that everyone in uniform is a paragon of virtue and chivalry, but until proven otherwise, my hat's off to you.

 
At March 17, 2012 at 7:27 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Of course not. I don't think everyone in the military is a patron saint, but that does not mean those who serve are asked to do more than anyone should be asked and saintly or not, most all deserve respect and support. You are 100% right about that!

 
At March 17, 2012 at 7:28 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Exactly right!

 
At March 17, 2012 at 7:29 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Good luck to your son!! Please thank him for his willingness to serve. I would love to hear how his training ges:)

 
At March 17, 2012 at 7:29 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

I'm so excited! I have never been cool:)

 
At March 17, 2012 at 7:30 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Thank you, old NFO!!

 
At March 17, 2012 at 1:22 PM , Blogger Borepatch said...

Angle Flight says we'd better damn well know why they're there, if we're going to ask them to be there.

 
At March 17, 2012 at 1:26 PM , Blogger Borepatch said...

[Sigh] Proof reading is a virtue.

And so is our objective if we're going to send men into harm's way. Me, I don't know what our goal is there, and I know for sure that we're not letting them fight.

 
At March 17, 2012 at 7:35 PM , Blogger RabidAlien said...

We should've learned in Vietnam that you CAN'T run a war from 5000 miles away, even with today's communications. You have to trust the guy on the ground. You've trained him, you've (hopefully) promoted your NCO's based on ability and leadership (not based on race or parents), you've sent your officers through intense officer schooling...trust them. If your NCO's and generals aren't performing (ie....WINNING), then get some in there who can do the job. Not everyone's cut out to be a soldier/leader/warrior/tactician, and you really never know until the first shot is fired. Get the right people in the right places, politicians....and then step back and let them do their frikkin job. If you, Mr/Mrs Politician, think you can do a better job...then GO OVER THERE AND DO IT. Don't run the war from your comfy swivel chair while getting intel from CNN.

 
At March 17, 2012 at 7:38 PM , Blogger Borepatch said...

Clarifications:

1. My comment about editing was directed at myself, carelessly typing "Angle Flight" instead of the correct "Angel Flight".

2. My timing was particularly unfortunate, as it lessens the gravity and respect due the fallen on their final trip home. It's worth your while clicking through to watch the video.

3. If we are going to ask such a sacrifice of our citizen soldiers and their families, we own them the respect of a clear objective and credible path to achieving it. I do not believe we have given them either; to the contrary, we have placed impossible restrictions in their way in the form of insane rules of engagement.

 
At March 17, 2012 at 9:52 PM , Blogger Cargosquid said...

Here's a site that I think that you would like. They have a speech by Gen'l Kelly just four days after his son's death on "Two that stood their ground."

http://www.blackfive.net/main/2010/12/lt-gen-kelly-on-the-two-that-stood-their-ground.html

All I can say is thank God that such men are born and that they are our countrymen.

 
At March 18, 2012 at 5:26 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Thank you for linking that. I had never heard the song. Very touching.

 
At March 18, 2012 at 5:32 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Thank you! Incredible.

 
At March 18, 2012 at 7:41 PM , Blogger 45er said...

Too true. I am so emotional when it comes to the military and their sacrifice. It is a very important subject to me. Unfortunately, politicians are using the military for something it is not and never has been designed for. The rules of engagement for our men and women have become atrocious.

 
At March 19, 2012 at 11:49 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

The whole state of this country is unfortunate, the military is a screaming example of what a mess we have become.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home