This page has moved to a new address.

Copy Cat

A Girl and Her Gun: Copy Cat

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Copy Cat

Last week Kymber had a craving for sushi, so 45er made her some, kind of.  His creation looked so yummy, I decided that would be our Friday night treat.

I like raw fish, but I don't trust myself to select and care for it properly, so when we make sushi at home, it is always with cooked fish, thus we have never had Salmon.  I don't know why I didn't think of it, but 45er used smoked salmon...brilliant.

During a chit chat with North about my dinner plans he brought up asparagus...I am border line addicted to that particular green veggie, so I decided to add that ingredient as well. We have a variety of pallets in our house, so I made several different kinds.  Follow 45ers instructions on exactly how to prepare if you interested in making it, but here are a few other things I did.

I thought I had shrimp in the freeze, but didn't.  I did have bay scallops, so I sauteed them in a pan of olive oil and finished with a squeeze of lemon. This is not authentic sushi.  This is food I like wrapped in rice and seaweed.

I let it cool and then chopped it up in fairly small.  For the asparagus, I doused it in good olive oil, salt and pepper and roasted it at 450 degrees until charred and a little on the crispy side. As an aside that brown goo in the pan, my daughter eats it by the spoonful.  She calls it scallop pudding.

Combinations I made...
snowcrab & avacado
smoked salmon & cream cheese
asparagus and cream cheese
scallops, asparagus & cream cheese
scallops & avocado.

I served it with a home made sauce of mayo, Sriracha sauce & lemon. I also made a sauce of Tamari, rice wine vinegar(equal parts), red chili flakes, chopped scallions, honey and chopped cilantro. Wasabi and pickled ginger on the side. 

If you are talented like Brigid then you take lovely, mouth watering pictures to showcase your work, if you are me with a family of 9 and 3 extra guests your son invited over, you get this...

and this...

Not pretty, but even the youngest in the group devoured it...


While I was stealing, being inspired by 45er, my daughter was ripping off, borrowing Jalissa's muffin recipe.  This is the wife of our own Kirk.  They have a blog called The Lowry Place.  It's filled with all kinds of interesting info from gun stuff to yummy treats.  We have made several of her dishes to include lasagna soup.  Crazy good! 

My daughter making the muffins...



Again, not as aesthetically pleasing, but they were mighty tasty.

I think they say imitation is the best form of flattery. Thanks guys for giving us wonderful ideas for a fabulous family meal!

16 Comments:

At March 10, 2012 at 7:19 AM , Blogger North said...

I LOVE avocado in sushi! Why didn't that come to mind when I was at the grocery store?

Next time.

Thank you and 45er for the ideas!

 
At March 10, 2012 at 9:35 AM , Blogger davidc said...

I love sushi ! Looks good in the pics !

 
At March 10, 2012 at 10:24 AM , Blogger Mary said...

You are talented like Brigid, your pictures are wonderful!

 
At March 10, 2012 at 12:01 PM , Blogger Old NFO said...

No leftovers is the sincerest form of flattery... :-)

 
At March 10, 2012 at 1:22 PM , Blogger 45er said...

I am flattered. Everyone needs to seriously try sushi and get past that they think it is all raw fish. You can put what you want in it. I love avocado in mine. I am totally stealing the asparagus next time I do some. I made the mistake when I did mine of not having a bunch of ingredients handy. Next time, I'm going to have everything under the Sun. That looks awesome and I know what you mean about Brigid's pictures. I figure if you can tell what is in the picture, I'm happy. :) That looks great!

 
At March 10, 2012 at 1:23 PM , Blogger 45er said...

P.S. when I saw the first picture in my reader, I thought you were sauteeing little marshmallows in some kind of caramel sauce, lol.

 
At March 10, 2012 at 4:45 PM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

I have an idea...

 
At March 10, 2012 at 4:46 PM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

There were NONE!

 
At March 10, 2012 at 4:47 PM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Mary, you are sweet. Just an FYI, I wasn't putting myself down, I just know my limitations and plus I really enjoy saying how wonderful and talented I think Brgid is:) thank you!

 
At March 10, 2012 at 5:47 PM , Blogger MSgt B said...

Asparagus is the bomb-diggity!

I stir-fry mine with sliced mushrooms and red onion in a butter and oil mix. Gonna make some tomorrow night.

 
At March 10, 2012 at 9:42 PM , Blogger GunDiva said...

I've recently learned to love asparagus. Bacon-wrapped and grilled is my all-time favorite. But last night, I went for breaded and baked. Ate it like it was going out of style.

Not a fan of fish - any kind - so sushi's out for me, cooked or not. But maybe roll some asparagus in rice and I might be able to eat it :)

 
At March 11, 2012 at 4:53 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Oh my, oh my I love asparagus both of those ways. When we lived in California there is a restaurant called Calim Jumpers and they make the best breaded asparagus ever!

My daughter in law does not like fish either, except shrimp, so that is why I made plain asparagus or with avocado or a mix of roasted veggies. She loves mushrooms and red peppers which is an awesome roll, especially in the mayo type sauce.

 
At March 11, 2012 at 4:55 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

That sounds heavenly!! I bet that would be a fabulous side with a grilled steak.

 
At March 11, 2012 at 5:35 AM , Blogger MSgt B said...

It's a fabulous side with just about anything.

Cooking it tonight with grilled chicken breasts that have been marinating on Italian dressing since last night.

I ran out and bought the ingredients as soon as I posted about it yesterday.

 
At March 11, 2012 at 8:48 AM , Blogger RabidAlien said...

Wow...our humble blog got mentioned in a post with such notable dignitaries as Brigid and North? *sniff* I feel like I should be giving a thank-you speech to the Academy!!!! Glad you enjoyed the muffins...just be very careful with them. They're one of the most addictive substances known to (this) man. They're right up there in the Pantheon of Goodness with NutterButters and Mac-n-Cheese (with bacon).

 
At March 14, 2012 at 5:01 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Mmmm nom nom nom. It's been too long since we last made sushi-ish stuff. I'm a big fan of the raw fish variety, but that's not all. I think it is totally open to experimentation as well.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home