This page has moved to a new address.

For A Man I Didn't Know

A Girl and Her Gun: For A Man I Didn't Know

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

For A Man I Didn't Know

I woke up at 4am and I could not get back to sleep.  No reason.  I wasn't worried or anything, just did not feel tired, so I read for a little bit and then I visited the blogoshere. 

I came across this post and followed the link here.  I had never read the blog of Neptunus Lex before last night, but after I had read several of his post, I am sorry I missed it.  This appears to be the last post before he died. 

While reading his older posts I stumbled onto How Marines Talk Amongst Themselves.  My husband served under Gen. Mattis during his time in Iraq.  The first time was at the beginning of the war and while Gen. Mattis is a bit controversial, my husband loved him.  I don't think he would have wanted to be a company commander during war time under any other general.  Anyway, it made me wonder if Neptunus Lex was doing his thing at the same time my husband was doing his.  Funny how certain things make one feel connected to another.

From what I read, he was smart, funny, cleaver, kind...a great American.  I didn't know him at all, but I am saddened by his passing and I pray for his family to have some peace and comfort in the fact that they did.

I couldn't help, but think, he was happy to be welcomed into Heaven by the Marines standing guard at the Pearly Gates.

7 Comments:

At March 7, 2012 at 7:06 AM , Blogger Mike said...

Lex will be missed by all.

 
At March 7, 2012 at 3:31 PM , Blogger Angus McThag said...

For a girl who doesn't cuss to link to my post that's almost entirely one cuss word...

 
At March 7, 2012 at 3:59 PM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

I like your blog and I was sorry to see you were upset.

 
At March 10, 2012 at 4:33 PM , Blogger Ben said...

I served under Gen Mattix in 2003, part of 2/23 in RTC 1. I loved working for him, and would like to do so again. To bad he had to retire. What unit did your husband serve in? Send me an email.

 
At March 10, 2012 at 4:34 PM , Blogger Ben said...

That's just ironic funny!

 
At March 10, 2012 at 4:41 PM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Ben, I can't find an email for you on your profile or blog. Can you send me one at agirlandhergun@gmail.com

 
At April 4, 2012 at 9:35 PM , Blogger Mortalis09 said...

was w/ 2nd battalion 5th marines in 03 when we crossed the LD

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home