This page has moved to a new address.

Weekend Roundup

A Girl and Her Gun: Weekend Roundup

Monday, March 19, 2012

Weekend Roundup

Do you all remember this story? Well, on Saturday the little boys parents. The Captain(they have a boat) & Martha(not her real name, but she is more hospitable than Ms. Stewart) invited us over for their annual March Madness party.  I went last year too, but anyway, when we got there both the The Captain and Martha told me they read the blog and love it.  I was flattered , of course, but the really neat thing is that Martha. said she wanted to sign up for the training give-a-way!!  That is right, folks, I think I inspired another person to give shooting a shot(pun totally intended) I really need to win the lottery, so I can just outright pay for these folks to get the training and skip the whole give- a- way run around, but until then I am going to bask in the knowledge that I am successfully spreading the love. 

On Sunday we met up with some other friends for an afternoon of bowling.

We were met by this sign
The husband is an FBI agent, and while I have always known this, we have never discussed guns or his job, but of course, everything is different now.  I had a nice talk with him about guns and self defense and he really recommends I take a course at the Sig Academy, so that might be in my future.  The wife and I were discussing being mugged and she shared a story with me I hope to share with you all, but I need to double check first and make it is ok. When i am in my everyday life I am not thinking about the blog, so when I am talking with people I don't think to say, "Hey, can I share this with several thousand of my friends?" Anyway, I was surprised at how much we have shared with each other over the years and how close our families are and yet, I never told them about my attack even though I have seen a couple times since then.  I never mentioned it and I was surprised by what she shared with me.  I am finding out that my reaction was not all that abnormal and oddly that gives me great comfort.

Last year about this time, I bought a Bersa for my son.  He was 19 at the time and in Virginia a person that is over 18, but not yet 21 can openly carry(there are certain circumstances where younger folks can also) a handgun, but can not purchase one.  A parent can purchase a handgun for their child if that child is otherwise legally eligible to carry one.  He wanted a Bersa, so that is what I bought him.  He has had all kinds of issues with this gun, so finally we sent it to an approved Bersa gunsmith to have the repairs made.  On Friday we got the gun back.  I was a bit shocked at the condition it came.  I am not sure if this is normal or not, so you all tell me if this is standard procedure or if I should send a note of displeasure.

The gun was placed, action closed(it's open in this pic), in a tobacco package and then inside another plastic bag.  Even though we sent a magazine, it was not returned.
 The gun is covered in tobacco.

I am not sure if there is some reason for this or not.  Any thoughts??

Lastly, my husband and I were suppose to go to Appleseed this coming weekend to meet up with Sean, Keads, my BFF,  and several other bloggers, but we have had a family issue come up.  Nothing to worry about and nothing to discuss here, but unfortunately we can't make the trip.  I am beyond disappointed, but I am excited to hear all about their adventures.

20 Comments:

At March 19, 2012 at 10:10 AM , Blogger David said...

That Bersa packaging is bizarre. Doesn't help this time, but if you ever need Bersa service again, use these folks:

http://www.coloradogunworks.com/

 
At March 19, 2012 at 10:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was the gun also in a cardboard box? Or a mailer?

It looks like he double bagged it to protect it from moisture while en route. I wouldn't have picked a tobacco bag myself, but he might not have realized the residue would get everywhere.

I'd give him a mild complaint on that.

The big issue is you do want your magazine back. Just let him know you sent the gun with a factory mag and ask him to look at it and return it. It's easy for the mag to get separated from the gun when the gun is being worked on and evidently he didn't note to himself that it came with a mag.

The whole thing wasn't the best customer service from a gunsmith, but compared to some of the horror stories I've heard, it isn't that bad, especially if he does send the mag.

Rob

 
At March 19, 2012 at 10:20 AM , Blogger North said...

Seriously? They guy returns your gun wrapped in his garbage?

 
At March 19, 2012 at 10:23 AM , Blogger Fred said...

That's not the normal way to ship a gun from anybody. You'd be completely right in complaining.

 
At March 19, 2012 at 10:30 AM , Blogger Lisa C / Celtic Clicks Photography said...

That's completely unacceptable!

 
At March 19, 2012 at 10:31 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Those mags are not cheap! And your gun covered in muck? I'd definitely complain.

 
At March 19, 2012 at 10:31 AM , Blogger Walt said...

The issue with Bersa certainly is strange. My first thought was that Bersa sent the gun back to you in that condition, then I re-read it and realized you sent it to a Bersa Approved Gunsmith. Then, I clicked over to Bersa to read their warranty terms.

I've always thought it would be cool to have a Bersa Thunder just for the sake of having one. Now I'm not so interested. I would drop a note to Bersa and inform them of the very unprofessional and bizarre way the situation was handled and then contact the gunsmith in an effort to retrieve the magazine.

 
At March 19, 2012 at 10:42 AM , Blogger Stephen said...

No, that is not how they should have returned your handgun...call them and tell them, in no uncertain words, to send your magazine back, and you'll never recommend their services. Insist on a magazine, like another reader said, they're not cheap. Yell.

 
At March 19, 2012 at 1:05 PM , Blogger JB said...

Yeah... I'd go with more a "letter of impending rage" than a "note of displeasure" in this case.

 
At March 19, 2012 at 1:46 PM , Blogger Ruth said...

Well, I can't speak for guns specifically.

I HAVE used a plastic shopping bag as a moisture protector when shipping things I've sold, but I've ALWAYS made sure there was nothing on the inside of the bag that could get on the item.

The "gunk" on the gun (and how do you know none of it got inside where it might gum up something??), combined with the missing mag would have me on the phone in a minute.

 
At March 19, 2012 at 1:58 PM , Blogger .45ACP+P said...

On the BersaTalk forum, Colorado Gun Works is the only recommened location for reasons I think you have just shared with the world. My pistol required a new slide and it came back in excellent condition WITH an new factory magazine, even though it was sent without one and documented as being without. That was 3 years ago and it has been 100% ever since.

 
At March 19, 2012 at 3:01 PM , Blogger Tango Juliet said...

Just a word of warning, the Sig Academy is a tobacco free facility.

:)

Very poor customer service IMHO.

 
At March 19, 2012 at 6:37 PM , Blogger Critter said...

"Yesterday Ah coundn't even spell 'gunsmith'. Now, Ah are one."

My Bersa story:
I was in my local gun dealer/merchant of death shop a while ago when my friend, who worked the counter, shot herself in the hand with a .380 Bersa. The bullet went through her finger, a stack of 4473's (the yellow kind), the the bloused portion of a police officer's shirt and the television behind the officer. It was her first ever ND. Score: She needed a couple of stiches to the hand, yellow confetti was all over the floor, the store needed a new TV, Steve from Warrior PD needed a new shirt and I needed clean trousers. I decided I didn't need a Bersa.

 
At March 19, 2012 at 7:11 PM , Blogger Keads said...

Totally unacceptable I and would send a "flame on" letter.

I am so sorry about this weekend, but there will be other chances to perform the "shooty goodness".

Side note: I can only get Bersa parts from the importer in of all places New Jersey. They take all the time in the world to do it too.

OTOH, the parts I got were for a really wore out range rental. Once they run, they run really really well for a long time with little care!

 
At March 19, 2012 at 7:37 PM , Blogger Dave Sohm said...

That's pretty weird, I would look for a different gun. Sig 232, PPK/S, PM9.

 
At March 19, 2012 at 8:54 PM , Blogger GunDiva said...

I'm happy to hear good things about CGW, as that's "my" gunshop. Boss Man takes pride in the work he does for Bersa. Just a heads up, though, he's moving to Indiana tomorrow and taking the shop with him, so from now on, the Bersa Warranty repairs will be sent to CGW in Indiana.

 
At March 20, 2012 at 5:22 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Great to know. Thank you!

 
At March 20, 2012 at 5:23 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Thanks everyone for your advice!! I appreciate it!!

 
At March 22, 2012 at 4:31 PM , Blogger 45er said...

Everyone covered it above, but I would fly off the handle if I got that back. I've only ever had one firearm go back to the mother ship and it was returned in a professional manner. That's just ridiculous. They at least owe you a mag for obvious reasons and an explanation on why they thought it would be ok to put a firearm of any kind into a bag that previously contained any foreign material. Consider also that the boss may not be aware this is going on and can correct the situation. You may save the next poor soul some heartache.

 
At March 26, 2012 at 7:58 AM , Blogger Thomas said...

I figure that you have already detail striped your Bersa, since their gunsmith has effectively shipped it back to you in a sealed plastic bag full of moisture attracting lawn clippings.....

A strongly worded letter would only be the least of his problems.....

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home