This page has moved to a new address.

Father's Day

A Girl and Her Gun: Father's Day

Monday, June 18, 2012

Father's Day

We had a super fun and super busy weekend.  We grilled steaks on Friday(just following the recommendations of Beth Of Red Barn Farm), went to our kids mock swim meet Saturday morning(I stayed home with the boy), then boating with friends.  I have great pictures of the kids, but I need to check with our friends to see if it is OK that I post them. 

Sunday was, of course, the day we celebrated the man in our lives. Great day!!!  We mostly ate and ate and ate.  I created an appetizer that was killer.  Now, I know there are no original ideas and someone somewhere has probably made this, but it was original to me, so I am claiming it as mine!!

I started out by roasting chicken thighs covered in olive oil and rosemary slowly in a low oven.


I let them cool slightly and shredded the thighs.  I then made a wild mushroom kind of paste.  Sauteed a mixture of various mushrooms in butter and olive oil, seasoned with salt and pepper, right at the end I added a splash or whiskey.  I normally would have added a good Spanish sherry, but I was out.  I let the alcohol burn off then pureed the mix, returned it to the pan and added a splash of cream.  Let cool.  Boil lasagna noodles and let slightly cool. The noodles are kind of important.  You want them on the al dente side, so that they are not mushy and fall apart.  Do not rinse because the gluten helps keep them together(my hubby can't eat gluten, so I also made a batch with gluten free noodles).  Lay out the noodles, spread a thin layer of the mushroom mix, put a few pieces of chicken at one end and roll up.  Put them on a baking sheet seem side up, sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese, put under broiler until browned.  I know lasagne roll ups are not original, but I created the filling.  I am now obsessed with all of the different things I can use as a filling.  I am thinking my next flavor combo will be pulled pork topped with shredded smoked Gouda and a thick smokey BBQ kind of dip.



Anyway, the part that I think is original is the "dip" I made for the roll ups..

I used fresh local whole milk ricotta, drained it over night, put it on a plate, drizzled with a good fruity olive oil, salt, pepper and dried oregano then topped it with Parmesan crisps.  We dipped the rolls into the ricotta mixture...to die for!  I named my creation "556 Roll-Ups" because there are 5(noodles, mushrooms, chicken, 2 kinds of cheese) main ingredients, I made them twice(gluten and non gluten 5-5) there are 6 of us in the family and the rolls look like rifling(to me, anyway:).


We also had a pork roast that I cooked, again, slowly in a low oven.  I braised it in a mixture of pureed onions, roasted pepita seeds, cumin, canned tomatoes, and tomato paste that I had caramelized. Lemon rosemary shrimp and my world famous crestless tomato pie.

The key to the pie is fresh ripe tomatoes and fresh basil.


Seeded and laid out to dry.

Finished product.  If you are Brigid or Jennifer, you might want to add bacon.  If your Maura you probably will want to skip the topping.

The hubby's plate.  We also enjoyed a glass of Fess Parker Pinot Noir.  Our personal fav.

 We finished the day with strawberry shortcake. Yes, I made the biscuits.

I did not include full recipes because it would have made this post waaaaay too long, but if anyone is interested just email me.










27 Comments:

At June 18, 2012 at 6:21 AM , Anonymous Mrs. Groundhog said...

It all looks so wonderful. You are making me hungry just looking at it.

 
At June 18, 2012 at 6:24 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, I'm hungry!

 
At June 18, 2012 at 7:39 AM , Blogger Sandy Livesay said...

Everything looked fabulous, how come you didn't invite all of us to taste test? LMAO......

 
At June 18, 2012 at 7:45 AM , Blogger kymber said...

i am loving all of it! wish you were closer - i could have test-tasted everything for you to make sure it was all "just right" before serving to the guests. i know, don't thank me, i'm an awesome friend like that! bahahahahah!

your friend,
kymber

 
At June 18, 2012 at 8:31 AM , Blogger Six said...

Geez that looks good. You are definitely a woman of many talents!

 
At June 18, 2012 at 8:58 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanna come and live at your house!!

 
At June 18, 2012 at 11:20 AM , Blogger GunDiva said...

I love finding recipes that my blog friends came up with or used and I've shared a handful of my favorites recently, too.

RCC would have just died over your meal...he loves fancy stuff like that. I'm more of a Kraft macaroni and cheese kind of girl, which makes the Chef in him cringe. But he still married me, so he's stuck :)

 
At June 18, 2012 at 11:36 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

I like Kraft Mac & cheese, but not that Valveeta shells glue stuff. I have a varied palette. I like authentic tacos and Mexican food like they serve at Frontera in Chicago and I also am addicted to burrito supremes from Taco Bell:)

 
At June 18, 2012 at 11:36 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

I have 3 deaf kids under the age of 9, so the food might not be worth it:)

 
At June 18, 2012 at 11:37 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Would love to cook you a meal sometime.

 
At June 18, 2012 at 11:37 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

That would be crazy fun and thanks for your selflessness...lol

 
At June 18, 2012 at 11:38 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Always welcome my dear...

 
At June 18, 2012 at 12:22 PM , Blogger MSgt B said...

Dayum.
I'm hungry now.

You could call the 556 rolls 223 rolls, everyone knows they're basically the same thing. (Rifle joke)

 
At June 18, 2012 at 12:29 PM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Then you should stop by for some food and libation sometime.

Ok, I know I am new, but I got the joke without the parenthesis:)

 
At June 18, 2012 at 1:04 PM , Blogger kymber said...

wouldn't it be, though! i would love it if we all lived near each other and could hang out and yak and make a ton of food - i, of course, would have to be the taste-tester due to my selflessness - bahahahahah! oh it would be such a hoot!

honest to goodness - that food is coming across the screen and making me sooooo hungry! it all looks soooo deelish!

your friend,
kymber

 
At June 18, 2012 at 1:33 PM , Blogger Granny D said...

Wonderful looking food, wish I could hire you to cook for me. Glad you and the family had a great Fathers Day.

 
At June 18, 2012 at 7:36 PM , Blogger Keads said...

WOW! Looks great!

 
At June 18, 2012 at 7:53 PM , Blogger lotta joy said...

How do you keep the chicken breasts from being 100% oily from being cooked that deeply in the oil????

AND, can you tell me the name of the fruity olive oil????? There are so many to choose from and I'm always afraid of paying a high price for one that tastes like cod liver oil.

 
At June 18, 2012 at 7:55 PM , Blogger 45er said...

Yum. Looks like you guys had a great time.

 
At June 19, 2012 at 4:54 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

I do not know the science behind why a confit works, but it does. The food is not greasey at all. I strain the oil and use it for other meals. It is so flavorful, so I might use it to make crispy fried potatoes for eggs in the morning.

I am not an olive oil expert, but I can tell you what I like. For day to day cooking I use Bertoili. I use that to lightly sautéed veggie or something. For salad dressing I use Colavita. For the fresh drizzle I like Nunez da Prado or Lungrotti. All of those can be found at like a Whole Foods or World Market and are $25. $25 is a little pricey, but i mostly buy and use the oils that are around $14-$15.

 
At June 19, 2012 at 4:54 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

We did. Hope your day was a good one too!

 
At June 19, 2012 at 4:55 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Getting paid to cook would be like getting paid to shoot...icing on the cake!

 
At June 19, 2012 at 4:55 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

:) thanks!

 
At June 19, 2012 at 5:49 PM , Blogger Home on the Range said...

I just had a low calorie high protein cereal bar for dinner. I may eat my chair now.

 
At June 19, 2012 at 9:52 PM , Anonymous Tyler said...

Wow that all looks really yummy! Makes me hungry just looking at it.

 
At June 20, 2012 at 3:49 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Yes, we all know you struggle when it comes to preparing culinary delights:)

 
At June 20, 2012 at 3:49 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Goal accomplished...lol

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home