This page has moved to a new address.

The Weekend...Again

A Girl and Her Gun: The Weekend...Again

Monday, May 14, 2012

The Weekend...Again


I am happy to see Monday come because the last 3 days have been a whirlwind.  All good stuff, but man was it packed. 

I will start with Saturday.  The last ACCT class we had at FPF Training got cut short due to rain, so John rescheduled the last 3 hours of that class for this weekend.  We met at the range at 9am.  In addition to 4 of the students from the original class we also had Mr. & Mrs. Awesome join us.  Always a treat, at least for me.  I did try to steal Mrs. Awesome's Lula, but the chic has a keen sense of observation and snagged it right back out of my bag. 

I don't know exactly what I am doing, but I am sure I am rocking it.  You can't tell, but there are actual targets up to the left.
Most of this portion of the class was up close and personal kind of bad guy, hands on you stuff. I don't know why, but punching someone is still an issue for me.  The drill was to strike the face of the bad guy, while withdrawing, draw and shoot.  These were paper targets, but I still had a hard time in my mind striking. I am constantly amazed by the mind and how I can be standing there knowing full well that the "bad" guy is paper, can't hurt me and that I know in real life I am going to beat the crap out of anyone trying to hurt me, and yet, some things still takes me right back to that day.  The main thing is that I can control it now or at least overcome it.  When it was my turn to do the drill, I used all my fear as energy and I was extremely forceful with my punch and I am not sure if it was loud to anyone else, but I think it was the loudest "GET BACK" I have ever screamed.  It was guttural. After that one drill I was fine.  I did lots more punching and grabbing of the bad guy without issue.

John had his mentor and friend out there with us and I really enjoyed finally meeting him.  He did some one on one drills with us after the formal part of the class was over.  He helped me fine tune my distance shooting and offered some advice on dealing with a bad guy encounter. He, like John, is very calming.  He talked about front sight and trigger manipulation.  John claims he has mentioned that before, but I don't recall ever hearing it:)  There is something missing in my application of sight alignment for distance shooting.  I swear I do the same exact stuff at 25 yards as I do at 15, but I can't seem to shoot where I want.  My shots are always low.  Mostly good groups, but low.

Sunday morning I headed up to the NRA range to take the shooting part of the NRA Basic Pistol Instructor Course.  Each person who wants to take the class has to qualify first by showing they understand gun handling, safety, the different types of trigger action, a revolver etc.  Funny story, when I was doing the revolver portion, the instructor kept saying put the revolver in your weak hand to load.  I had the first time and all 3 times after she told me. She was getting frustrated and then I finally understood the trouble.  She forgot I was left handed.  I had the gun in my right hand which she thought was my strong hand.  Us lefties will mess you up every time. 

Then I had to shoot a green dot at 8 feet, I think.  Then a bullseyes at 25 and 50 feet.  Done. Passed.  Next Saturday and Sunday are the classroom portion of the course.

If I pass the class, I will not be hanging out my shingle and opening up A Girl And Her Gun Shooting School.  I am getting the certification because if I am going to be working at a range, I think it is important for me to continue to hone skills, become more educated in the field and get proper qualifications.  I will be working with and under John and I will be attending several more trainings.  I hope to go to TDI soon.  I have lots and lots and lots left to learn and I know it.

After the test, I came home to my family who spent the day spoiling me. They bought me the Ranger Up Sheepdog shirt I have been wanting.  I don't think I am the Sheepdog, but it's cool and inspiring, so...

My daughter A's class made traditional coupon books for Mother's Day.  In addition to one free hug, I got this coupon...

Translated..."help clean gun"




E made me a book full of good stuff...


As a treat every few weeks I bring fast food to my kids at school and eat with them.  E got this in her kids meal.


E and me hanging. She loves to go on walks
Me shooting

She is a little off on some of these.  Chicken is not my favorite food, but we do eat a lot of it because it is healthy and versatile and Justin Bieber(JB) is not my favorite singer...he is hers.  The rest are spot on.  I do like green, I do love to run and shooting bad guy movies are my very fav!

The boys in my house are not so artistic, but they made me yummy food.  You will notice this is pretty much what they always make me because I love it so much and they love me.  The menu was grilled ribeyes(ribeye fat is actually my favorite food) asparagus, and shrimp with bok choy gratin, a martini and for dessert my daughter, M, made me chocolate covered strawberries.

 Shooting, friends, family, good food, and some tasty alcohol made for a delightful weekend! 




16 Comments:

At May 14, 2012 at 5:56 AM , Blogger kymber said...

it sounds like you had an awesome weekend! Happy Belated Mother's Day! i love ribeye fat, too...i like it to get all crispy - bahahahah! love the chocolate strawberries - how fancy!

your friend,
kymber

 
At May 14, 2012 at 6:24 AM , Blogger Broken Andy said...

Sounds like a really good weekend.

"The drill was to strike the face of the bad guy, while withdrawing, draw and shoot."

I gotta take that class.

 
At May 14, 2012 at 6:50 AM , Blogger Tango Juliet said...

Ranger Up has the best lineup of t-shirts anywhere.

 
At May 14, 2012 at 7:09 AM , Anonymous amy b said...

I love my Lula too, and would make sure I had it back. ;)

Sounds like a lovely Mother's Day.

Enjoy Basic Instructor Training and Pistol Instructor Training. I enjoy teaching Basic Pistol, but after a similar sounding 'bad guy' experience, I find teaching "Refuse to be a Victim" more gratifying.

If you're ever over the MD line, the training at Center Mass Combat Tactics is amazing. www.centermasscombattactics.com/

 
At May 14, 2012 at 7:45 AM , Blogger Sport Pilot said...

Your doing very well but try to learn the value of anger and rage that is channeled into a focal point. Every shot, every strike, every effor is on doing more harm to the agressor. Can you or will you be injured, most likely so but if you go home and they don't then why worry? Focus on the face or event that frighten's you most and just get enraged, kick some ass, exaust your self and do it all over again.

 
At May 14, 2012 at 10:28 AM , Blogger RabidAlien said...

Dang, I find myself jealous of your training schedule yet again! Wish I could work in some more range-time, but unfortunately, that "work" thing keeps interfering.

How 'bout that Bok Choy gratin? Mrs.Alien used panchetta in hers, but shrimp....man, that sounds tasty! (she's not a seafood fan, the poor soul)

 
At May 14, 2012 at 1:35 PM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

I am extremely spoiled. I have access to the best folks in this gun/self defense world and opportunities to indulge!

I le seafood!!! The gratin was killer.

 
At May 14, 2012 at 1:36 PM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Thank you and I swear I am working on it:)

 
At May 14, 2012 at 5:33 PM , Blogger Critter said...

congrats! train hard and often.

 
At May 14, 2012 at 6:13 PM , Blogger God, Gals, Guns, Grub said...

Sounds like a good weekend... if you head to TDI... let us know... I attended a couple of courses there over the years... about an hour south of where we live...

Dann in Ohio

 
At May 14, 2012 at 8:11 PM , Blogger 45er said...

Now that is an awesome weekend. I enjoyed reading this post. A tip on ribeyes (or any steaks), rub kosher salt on the fat that runs on the outside of the steak. I usually sprinkle a line of it on the plate and press the edge of the steak on it that has the fat. The salt draws out the moisture during cooking and makes the fat nice and crispy. So healthy.

 
At May 22, 2012 at 1:14 PM , Anonymous Evyl Robot Michael said...

"Us lefties will mess you up every time."

You ain't joking either! :P

 
At May 22, 2012 at 1:26 PM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Gonna try this next time!

 
At May 22, 2012 at 1:26 PM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

I missed these. I will for sure let you know, of course.

 
At May 22, 2012 at 1:26 PM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

That's my plan!

 
At May 22, 2012 at 1:27 PM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Hahahah, yep, sorry about that:)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home