This page has moved to a new address.

What A Differance A Day Makes

A Girl and Her Gun: What A Differance A Day Makes

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

What A Differance A Day Makes

Or in this case a year.

My family, especially my children, get very annoyed with me around holiday time because I never tell them what I want.

It is not in my nature to ask for things. I really believe in the whole if you want something you should work for it and get it for yourself.

Gifts really say something about the giver and should not be demanded.

I sincerely don't want a gift from anyone out of obligation. If they don't have the joy of giving, I would rather not get the gift.

The up side to that is, if someone doesn't get me a gift, I am not the least bit upset.

The only exception to that is the one year my family bought me 900 pairs of socks. Nothing else, just more socks than anyone person could possible need. That annoyed me a tiny bit, but let's not mention that.

Even when I was a young married gal just starting out, I didn't ask for things, but to be fair, I have never really wanted for anything. We have a comfortable life and if I want or need something I can just go get. I don't have to wait for a holiday.

But, my life, how I live it is a 24/7 example to my children and it is very important to me that I raise children who work for what they want, do not expect others to give them things, deserved or otherwise, and that they are givers not takers.

However, I don't want them giving everything away or thinking others have a right to what they work for.

My children should not expect anything from anyone, but should be generous and giving to those they have a desire to give to.

This is not an easy task, but I can promise you, if you meet my children, you would say they are kind and giving. From my 20 year old, to my teenage daughter, to my 5 terror on wheels, they enjoying giving and doing for others.

I don't want you to think I am a grinch or against gift giving or that I have my kids in the back yard raking leaves on Christmas Eve earning money to buy their own gifts. (Although we do have a fairly complicated allowance system).

Nothing could be farther from the truth.

I love to give gifts.

I love to try to find that thing that will make someone smile and feel good. I pride myself on buying gifts for people that they never even knew they wanted, but that when they get it, they love it!

I do that because I genunionly care about the people in my life and the gift comes from place.

Having said all that,

My family may be regretting nagging me for all these years to get me to ask for things as this year, my list just keeps growing and growing and growing.

I am justifying this by saying these are life saving items that I need, but, really and DONT tell them, that I get giddy crazy excited when I look through the Cabelas' catalog and I see ALL OF THAT STUFF!!

This is by no means a comprehensive list, but more like a sample of my ever growing desire for material goods:

Fixed blade knife
Hiking boots
Items for my bug out bag
A bug out bag
Range bag
New compass
Ammo
Plus, I already got a trip to Tennessee for a shooting course and last night I scheduled a shopping trip in January for my birthday present...a brand new 9mm.

I have become a greedy little thing.

2 Comments:

At December 20, 2011 at 4:32 PM , Blogger Roadkill said...

What sort of fixed blade knife are you looking for? I seem to be specializing in knife topics these days. They're intensely addictive being so much less expensive than guns and honestly, many times more useful.

 
At December 20, 2011 at 6:26 PM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Roadkill, I want a knife I can use camping hiking that kind of thing. I am not sure how much of the blog you have read, but I went on a rescue team for a missing boy and I had to clear a path for an injured gal. My knife was woefully ill equipped. I don't know how often I will be in that kind of situation, but I am hopefully I will be joining a team here locally. Regardless, I want a knife I can use for that, but not a large mâché. I kind of would like the smallest knife I can get to do the job.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home