This page has moved to a new address.

Randomness

A Girl and Her Gun: Randomness

Friday, May 11, 2012

Randomness

Last weekend at the training several of us were sitting around chitchating about random things.  Guns mostly.  One of the guys was saying that he likes to attend one training a year.  I jokingly said, me too.  Mr. Tea gave a chuckle and said, you have been shooting about a year and I think your on your 7th training. Slight exaggeration to make his point. I have not been to 7 formal courses, but I said, Yeah, I take training pretty serious.  His reply was, "I would say anyone who can turn a visit from the washing machine repairman into a exercise, takes training pretty serious". True, true. Then someone asked me how many rounds I think I shoot in a year.

I had no idea, so when I got home I decided to try to figure it out.  I go to my local range about twice a week.  I shoot at least 150 rounds each time.  There have been weeks that I have missed, but not many.  I have also attended 4 formal training courses where I shot between 400-600 rounds plus the many times I have met informally with John at his range or other ranges around Virgina.  In addition, I have hooked up with other bloggers many times for an hour or so of lead therapy, so I decided for easy math I would just use the average weekly range trip of 300.  300x4=1200.  1200x6(you know, half a year)=7200.  That is very simple math, but I have recalculated that a million times, because that seems like kind of a big number. 

It is getting warmer and I have been doing a lot of experimenting with my clothes and my new gun.  I know a little more then I did a year ago when I did 7 Days Of Conceal Carry which turned into a bit of a mess, so I am going to restart that next week.  I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how easy it really is to conceal.  Warning...if you want to wear Daisey Duke shorts and a spaghetti strap shirt without a cover garment, get the Flashbang and call it good. 

In the spare 2 seconds I had yesterday(I volunteered at the kids school serving taco salad to the teachers, plus last minute errands for my daughter and then her Spring Chorus Concert...she won the solo and she ROCKED it!!) I popped over to Female and Armed, while I was there, I clicked on a link she had on her sidebar; Rounds and Roses.  The blog writer had an interesting post on getting women into shooting courses.

As you know I have been trained almost exclusively by men(The only exception is my course taught by the phenomenal Cornered Cat) and for me it worked. All the people that have come into my life have been the exact right people, but her points are well taken. I do think that many women are intimidated by men and shooting and as she points out, many women have had previous experiences that make learning from a man difficult.   I, of course, think that the entire world should learn from John, but that probably isn't to realistic, so if your a women looking for encouragement her post is worth reading. 

I am now off for a run and then there is a slight chance I will get to meet with Arete later today, but if not, I might just snuggle up on my couch and try to finish up J.D's Above Reproach. It is a good book and I hate putting it down, but I am so busy I have to sneak in a chapter here and a chapter there.  


17 Comments:

At May 11, 2012 at 5:29 AM , Blogger Broken Andy said...

"if you want to wear Daisey Duke shorts and a spaghetti strap shirt without a cover garment, get the Flashbang and call it good"

Every time I do that it draws a heck of a lot of attention. :)

 
At May 11, 2012 at 5:35 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

I would buy your ammo for a year, just to see that.

 
At May 11, 2012 at 6:00 AM , Blogger eiaftinfo said...

Ya know, women have the advantage in concealment - especially if the do the "daisy duke/spaghetti" routine. Typical male conversation:

"Wow, did you see the size of her . . . . And she sure had a great lookin' . . . . ."

It would just never occur to a guy to say:

"Was she packin' a M&P????"

Nope, just wouldn't happen!! :)

 
At May 11, 2012 at 6:08 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

That is a good point too. I will not flatter myself to think I would cause such a ruckus, but I can promise you, if I walked down the street in Daisey Duke shorts,I would get a huge reaction from 13 year old..."Mom, geezz, really?" "My friends are gonna see you.". "ugh, you're so weird."

 
At May 11, 2012 at 6:38 AM , Blogger eiaftinfo said...

Well . . . then . . . . its gotta be done!!! :)

 
At May 11, 2012 at 6:42 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Bwahahahahah. I like the way you think!

 
At May 11, 2012 at 8:27 AM , Anonymous Dianna said...

"I do think that many women are intimidated by men and shooting and as she points out, many women have had previous experiences that make learning from a man difficult."

I haven't read the post you mentioned (I'll do that next), and I'm the kind of woman that is usually intimidated by men in general. But none of the gun "guys" I've met have made me feel uncomfortable in any way. Actually I tend to have the opposite reactions, meaning I feel very safe and protected around them and tend to learn more than I would from my husband. But then again what does a husband know ;)

 
At May 11, 2012 at 10:41 AM , Blogger RabidAlien said...

Ooh, ooh...is that offer open to the general public, or just BA? Hey, c'mon...ammo's 'spensive!

 
At May 11, 2012 at 11:16 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

I am glad you have had such a good experience. Husband's can be tricky. I like shooting with my husband. He is darn good and he helps me, but I don't like to train with him in aggressive ways. I don't think a husband should be yelling "bitch" or kicking his wife...just doesn't seem like something a husband should be doing, so I train with other people for that.

 
At May 11, 2012 at 2:19 PM , Blogger Eric said...

Some insights I picked up from several different instructors:

- Actually shooting (pull trigger-bang-bullet downrange) is maybe five percent of the equation. It is of course a necessary part of the equation, and it is necessary to experience it and get bullets on target. But...most of the battle, and most of the training, should be spent on

-- recognizing the problem
-- avoiding it altogether if possible; but failing that
-- training my responses/speeding the OODA loop
-- moving, how to move, where to move
-- accessing weapons, not only from standing or running but from seated, from on my back, on my face, someone sitting on me, while being knocked down, accessing with either hand (e.g one hand wounded/useless)...etc
-- manipulation of the weapon (e.g. for handgun malfunction drills, one and two hand shooting, changing hands, reloading under pressure, transitioning to other weapons
-- dry-firing...

Basically, doing all the things necessary to be able to actually employ the weapon (shoot the gun, slash/stab the knife, strike with the hand) against someone who is actively trying to ruin my day and prevent me from doing any of those things.

The vast majority of that does not require launching any bullets at all, and doesn't require going to (paying for) the range, ammo, and so forth. Garage and backyard venues.

Change of focus ---

I think I recommended in an earlier comment this book: The Talent Code, by David Coyle http://www.amazon.com/The-Talent-Code-Greatness-Grown/dp/055380684X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336770688&sr=8-1 (hardcover on sale at Amazon almost as cheap as the Kindle version)

It is not about self-defense, it is about why world class performers become world class performers. It discusses the biological basis for how learning occurs, and the types of training behaviors that take advantage of this. My summary of it: Short, intense, practice sessions focused on finding and eliminating errors and poor performance produces much better results than hours and hours of less intense practice.

I think you might find this interesting.

 
At May 11, 2012 at 4:24 PM , Blogger Critter said...

husbands, wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, or whatever, should never try to "teach" each other anything. not that we all can't learn from each other, but the position of teacher/student brings with it certain mind sets that are not compatible with the emotional loading that comes with an intimate relationship. the teacher/student relationship requires an emotional distance between the two and a demand that the student be defferential toward the teacher, something that can cause emotional strain between couples and has ruined many a first time shooting expedition, something i've sadly witnessed at the range. first time shooters, frequently already ambivalent about this whole shooting thing, can be put off quickly and never try again. getting someone not emotionally invested with the student allows that "distance" needed for the teacher/student relationship to work. of course, habing the right teacher helps too.

when The Woman Of The House was learning to drive (she didn't know how when we first set up housekeeping) i didn't try to teach her any of it because she was already scared of the idea and i get really nervous around rookie drivers and my voice tends to rise...well, you see, not a good idea. so, i got the wife of one of my buddies at work to teach her and in two weeks she had her license. as a reward she got the keys to a newish cheap car (we were poor then) and she's been rolling since. i got to man the grill out back and look smug.

similarly, when she learned to shoot, i got my Dad (an impish gnome of a man with a dry sense of humor) and my shooting buddy (large, bearded, cruel looking man who is a big ole teddy bear with the patience of Job) to initiate her in the gunpowder burning rites. all *I* had to do was take pictures of her shooting Dad's FN-FAL and buddy's .357 while wearing her pink parka and The Grin. i'm a genius, i am. :)

 
At May 11, 2012 at 7:18 PM , Blogger God, Gals, Guns, Grub said...

I think practice is the true key after training... I know some folks that take an advance training course once or twice every single year... yet the most they practice is the week before the course to make a last ditch effort to get their skills back to look adequate at the training...

I love teaching the NRA courses because of the focus on fundamentals... and I think that as folks take more advanced training... sometimes the fundamentals suffer... so I remind folks not to forget them as they progress...

Your weekly shooting will make a significant difference in your performance under pressure...

Dann in Ohio

 
At May 13, 2012 at 7:18 AM , Blogger Heather said...

I feel very lucky that when I wanted to learn about guns there was a ladies only course offered. The instructor is a phenomenal guy who got me started on instructing, but at the time I didn't and couldn't know that. All I knew is that it was a ladies only class and that made me feel comfortable enough to sign up. If that course hadn't been offered, I don't know that I would have taken that first step.

 
At May 14, 2012 at 1:37 PM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

That is very fortunate! I can't tell you how happy I am that you found a place and instructor you are comfortable with!!,

 
At May 14, 2012 at 1:38 PM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Eric, honestly...THANK YOU! I can't believe you take the time to offer me such much! I will check this out!!!!

 
At May 14, 2012 at 1:39 PM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

I bet your an awesome instructor! Practice is the key once one develops solid skills!

 
At May 14, 2012 at 1:39 PM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Your 100% right!!,

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home