This page has moved to a new address.

When Are You Gonna Talk About Gun Stuff?

A Girl and Her Gun: When Are You Gonna Talk About Gun Stuff?

Thursday, March 8, 2012

When Are You Gonna Talk About Gun Stuff?

I am so glad you asked.  This just in from Ce...

This is not my holster, gun, or review and the cute tushy, also not mine:)  This was sent to me by a woman who won this holster in a fundraiser I did to raise money for the Wounded Warrior Project.
In November 2011 A Girl and Her Gun held a fund raiser for a very awesome cause. She was raising money for the Wounded Warrior Project http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org. For every $5 dollar donation made your name was entered in the hat for some really cool prizes. Among which was a holster from Dragon Leatheworks http://www.dragonleatherworks.com.
My name was pulled out of the hat and I was contacted almost immediately by Dennis at Dragon Leatherworks!  After giving him my pistol make/model and telling him that I was right handed he went to work building my holster. I was very excited as I had requested a holster to be made for my Springfield Armory XD 9 sub-compact. I love carrying the pistol but hadn't found a holster yet that I really liked.
Weeks went by as I paced the floor anxiously awaiting my prize. Dennis had told me it would be at least 8 weeks due to the handmade nature of each holster, but I still asked my husband every day what came in the mail.
Finally it came! I opened the box like a kid on their birthday, ripping into the packaging and finding this! 
 
 Of course I immediately ran for the pistol and after removing the ammo (and double checking twice) this is what it looked like. 


The holster itself is beautiful. I love the colors and the inlay, it is a shame I have to conceal it in my state! The leather is thick and gives the holster a very solid feel. The stitching is very nice and I don't foresee any issues with stitches coming loos due to the high quality of the craftsmanship.
It was a very tight fit to begin with but  after a few times of inserting and removing the unloaded pistol the leather stretched just enough. The retention aspect is still there, but it is not a fight to get the pistol out. 
This is going to be my weekend carry holster as most of my work clothes don't have belt loops. I did find this very comfortable to wear. I normally carry the XD on my right hip in about the  4:30 to 5:00 position so it is out of the way as I wrangle the kids and dogs.

 There is still some breaking in of the holster in the pictures the pistol is quite as far down in the holster as I would like it sit, so more use is definitely needed! I am also using the extended clip in these pictures which is not the clip that I carry in the pistol on a daily basis (that adds to much length and weight to the pistol for me to be able to conceal with my short waistline), it was just the only empty clip available. While wearing the holster the first time out and about I went grocery shopping , to the eye doctor, to the gas station and was in and out of my vehicle quite a bit. Never once did the holster slide around or did I feel the pistol shift.
Overall I really like this holster and the more I use it the more I will like it. It is going to quickly become part of my frequently used items.
I would highly recommend checking out Dragon Leatherworks next time you are in the market for a new holster. I don't think you will be disappointed.

15 Comments:

At March 8, 2012 at 9:27 AM , Blogger ProudHillbilly said...

Niiiiice!

 
At March 8, 2012 at 9:29 AM , Blogger RabidAlien said...

Awesome! My wife has that exact same handgun, and prefers the extended-grip mag to the regular mag (fits her hand better). I've got the same hangun in the regular size, 4.5" barrel or something like that. Either way, an awesome firearm, and a very nice looking holster!

 
At March 8, 2012 at 9:37 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Ce, loves her gun. She tried to get me to buy one when I was in my gun shopping mode, but I went for the M&P, but I have loved shooting the Sprinfield when I've had a chance.

 
At March 8, 2012 at 9:37 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

He does good work doesn't he. He made one very similar for my husband.

 
At March 8, 2012 at 9:43 AM , Blogger Jim said...

I have that handgun as well. I added a grip extender that I found at Brownells.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1373/Product/SEMI-AUTO-GRIP-EXTENSION

Adds that extra length to the magazine for my pinky ( I was very uncomfortable with my pinky floating free), but not enough length to the back of the magazine to interfere with my ability to conceal it. Your mileage may vary, of course.

I am planning on getting a Talon from Dennis for my 1911 later this year. I really like his work. Your holster looks very nice.

 
At March 8, 2012 at 10:41 AM , Blogger Keads said...

Nice Holster!

 
At March 8, 2012 at 12:39 PM , Blogger Tango Juliet said...

I dunno. It's not very stylish. I guess it's okay for wrangling kids and dogs though.



:)

 
At March 8, 2012 at 12:52 PM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Ha, I am going to tell Dennis you said that:)

 
At March 8, 2012 at 1:24 PM , Blogger Larry said...

(is-not-clip-is-magazine)

Sorry. Pet peeve. Nice holster though, I'd like to see if he will make one for my High Standard.

 
At March 8, 2012 at 1:45 PM , Blogger poniegirl004 said...

You know I tried the whole " it's not a clip it's a magazine" line with some TSA guys several years ago. They corrected me promptly and confiscated the said magazine.

 
At March 8, 2012 at 2:15 PM , Blogger RabidAlien said...

That's cool. There's no one handgun that works well for everybody, you get and shoot what works best for you. I have an uncle who shoots Rugers, I just don't like the feel of them.

 
At March 8, 2012 at 2:17 PM , Blogger RabidAlien said...

TSA= Troublemaking Sad Arseholes.

 
At March 8, 2012 at 2:18 PM , Blogger RabidAlien said...

....also substitute "Sociopathic" for "Sad". Works either way.

 
At March 8, 2012 at 7:01 PM , Blogger 45er said...

I like.

 
At March 13, 2012 at 3:52 AM , Blogger CindyE said...

nice holster! i would like it fitting snug, too. i used to strictly carry inner waist band. last time i did that, hubby and i were looking at furniture and sitting on quite a few different couches, and the holster's clip actually worked its way off of the waistband of my jeans. yikes!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home