This page has moved to a new address.

I Like Women

A Girl and Her Gun: I Like Women

Monday, March 5, 2012

I Like Women

I am sometimes amazed at the emails I get. Most are more than generous, but man some just annoy me to know end. Recently someone asked me "Why I am so hell bent on excluding men from the gun carrying movement". First of all, that sure gives me a heck of a lot of power, power I didn't even know I had.

I can't imagine how any person can read my blog and think that I want to exclude any law abiding person from anything. Nothing about me or my blog says exclusion. Carry, for the love of all that is good and holy, CARRY.

Now, my focus in terms of Give A Way's and education and advocacy does lean towards the female persuasion and this should not come as a shock to anyone, I AM A WOMAN. if this does shock anyone, you are not paying attention.

I can not do everything, no one can. I am with the entire gun "movement" that is for safe, responsible gun ownership. I support men and women who shoot for sport, enjoyment and self protection. I am for the education of youngsters and I am for less government pretty much all around, but my heart is with the women.

I will admit that I like being feminine. I like my soft curves and my gentle nature. I like when a man opens my door or offers me his coat. I like the way I feel when my husband protects me. To be loved by a man who would literally lay his life down for you is touching. I don't think that he is the only man who would do that, but even so, as nice as that is, there is nothing more empowering, more sexy, more encouraging or more valuable then being able to take care of myself.

When I was in that parking lot, there was only one man there and he was there to harm me. I did not feel much that day other than fear, but the days that followed were full of guilt and shame. I felt dirty and I felt weak. As much as my man wanted to protect me, he couldn't. That is something I needed to do and I didn't. Yes, someone came along and saved me and I can not tell you how utterly un-comforting that reality is.

My goal for the rest of my life will be to help women understand that they, themselves, are solely responsible for their safety and while it is nice to have back up that is no substitute for knowing how to defend your own life, and unfortunately, for many women that will often be against the one who claims to love them the most.

I will not apologize for focusing on women and to be honest, all the men I respect are not the least be intimated or bothered by that.

28 Comments:

At March 5, 2012 at 5:40 PM , Blogger Stephen said...

Do what you do best and forget the critics...

 
At March 5, 2012 at 5:51 PM , Blogger North said...

I FEEL so REPRESSED!!1!

*snort*

 
At March 5, 2012 at 5:53 PM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

That's my goal:)

 
At March 5, 2012 at 5:55 PM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

I know, I know., your right.

 
At March 5, 2012 at 5:55 PM , Blogger North said...

*sob*

 
At March 5, 2012 at 6:05 PM , Blogger fuzzyhighlander said...

protect yourself, protect your loved ones, worry about the a-holes who want to gripe because you refuse to be a victim at a much later date, like in about 50 years or so. and as for the a-holes who try to make you a victim, a two handed grip and jacketed hollowpoints serve very well in any argument.

tennessee permit holder and a guy

 
At March 5, 2012 at 6:55 PM , Blogger Tango Juliet said...

Umm... I didn't know I was repressed until now. Gosh!

More women need to be involved in the shooting sports and I for one, am glad to see it happening.

 
At March 5, 2012 at 7:00 PM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

You, I like"

 
At March 5, 2012 at 7:02 PM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

I am so good, you didn't even know.

Yeah, you are pretty wonderful like that. Supporting woman and encouraging them.

 
At March 5, 2012 at 7:13 PM , Blogger Garand Gal said...

You are insidious and eeeeeee-vile, repressing those poor men folk.
I'd be happy to help them untwist their panties, but I'd probably go the wrong way and wind up having to give them make up tips. At least they'd qualify for one of your scholarships...

 
At March 5, 2012 at 7:14 PM , Blogger Garand Gal said...

completely by accident, of course!

 
At March 5, 2012 at 7:43 PM , Blogger Red Woman said...

I can't imagine anyone getting the impression that you are against men carrying. You always encourage all of us, men and women, to CARRY, CARRY, CARRY! Umm, did I get that right? :) I've been paying attention...

Blessings,
Red

 
At March 5, 2012 at 7:47 PM , Blogger Critter said...

did you see her repressin' me? help! help! i'm being repressed!

 
At March 5, 2012 at 8:52 PM , Blogger poniegirl004 said...

Some people's children just have to have something to complain about.

 
At March 5, 2012 at 10:58 PM , Blogger davidc said...

Some people just like to complain ! We need more women in our camp and the best person to reach out to them is usually another woman. Keep up the good deeds, we need more like you.

 
At March 6, 2012 at 1:20 AM , Blogger Bootsaint said...

I'll tell you what I told Erin: Keep it up. I wish more women would stroll up to this culture and own themselves a piece of it. I'll help if I can.

 
At March 6, 2012 at 3:35 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Lol, I am so glad your on my side:)

 
At March 6, 2012 at 3:35 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Ha, yes, thank you!

 
At March 6, 2012 at 5:35 AM , Blogger Paul Erickson said...

Any man who reads this and thinks you're trying to exclude men is obviously not paying attention (likely how they are when dealing with the women in their life - there, but not paying attention).

Pay them no worry. Your experiences are YOUR experiences. You have a point of view that you want to share with other women. Your perspective is geared towards women, but ANY of the things you talk about can be understood, applied, and used by men as well. I am not so arrogant as to think that just because I'm a guy, that your tips on self defense, shooting technique, awareness, etc, are any less applicable to me.

I'm not the strongest guy (working on that! lol), but I do have a brain and know how to use it. THAT is the best defense ANYBODY can use, and you emphasize using it to take care of yourself.

I don't see how that is such a hard concept to grasp.

As for the giveaways, some guys just want free stuff.

 
At March 6, 2012 at 5:36 AM , Blogger Chantal said...

I've target shot a few times but just recently applied for my carry permit. Through all the research of what's what,why,how I am becoming very much a proponent of educating women on the subject. I am doing it locally & on a much, much smaller scale but thanks to blog like yours I can keep pay it forward. THANK YOU!

 
At March 6, 2012 at 6:19 AM , Blogger ZerCool said...

in that parking lot, there was only one man there

I agree with a lot you say - but not this. There was never a man there. A male, perhaps, but never a man. No man would find himself in that thing's shoes.

 
At March 6, 2012 at 6:50 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Ok, fair enough.

 
At March 6, 2012 at 6:51 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Good for you! Thank you for empowering other woman and thanks for coming here!

 
At March 6, 2012 at 6:52 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Lol, thank you!

 
At March 6, 2012 at 11:15 AM , Blogger Keads said...

As my favorite curmudgeon says: "Some people would complain if you hung them with a new rope."

I did not know I was being repressed! If this is it, keep going Girl!

 
At March 6, 2012 at 1:29 PM , Blogger RabidAlien said...

+1 to Critter for Monty Python references! Now...if you can tell me what the average airspeed of an unladen swallow is....

I have this philosophy that, no matter what a person does, they're never going to make everyone happy. By making one person happy, you will (perhaps not intentionally) be making another one unhappy. Simply by waking up this morning, you made some fundamentalist terrorist somewhere decidedly unhappy. By carrying a gun, you make a bunch of politicos and nutjobs unhappy. So...screw em. Life's too short to go around trying to make everyone else happy. Find those who matter, and cultivate their friendships (they matter, and they won't require constant attention and happiness...they'll understand that life happens, and they'll understand the concept of forgiveness.) So...keep doing what you're doing. I'm a guy, I'm a relatively new shooter, I'm also your average village idiot and have been finding your blog to be VERY informative.

 
At March 6, 2012 at 7:32 PM , Blogger 45er said...

I love women.

*sigh*

I don't know. Why must we all be everything to everyone? I just appreciate that you are serving a previously under-served demographic. After reading Garand Gal's recent piece of her story, no one should be concerned that men are being excluded from anything.

 
At March 8, 2012 at 8:07 AM , Blogger TinCan Assassin said...

Hell, someone has to take up where Breda left off. I can think of none better.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home