This page has moved to a new address.

A Girl and Her Gun

Wednesday, July 27, 2011


Other than shooting, what do you like to do with your time?

I am a very complex girl.  I like spending my time doing lots of different things.  Things that seem contradictory to others, but are perfectly normal to me. 

I love life. 

I love everything.

I love to travel.  Pretty much anywhere.  My family and I get all kinds of excited for a road trip.  As long as I am not on a time line I love to pile my family in the car and head out and they love it too.  Our children are excellent travelers. I hate to fly, but if it gets me to some fun destination then I am gonna get on the big ol' jet airliner. as I am not on a time line I love to pile my family in the car and nhead out and they love it too.
I like to cook.  Food used to be my passion before guns.  I still enjoy cooking but my food usually takes time.  I do enjoy a box of Beef Stroganoff Hamburger Helper from time to time, but usually I like to make things from scratch and take my time.  Cooking for me is relaxing.  It is good for my spirit, but my time is limited, so if I have a choice between heading to the range or making homemade pasta, I am strapping on my gun and heading out.
 When I have time to cook
(chicken breast stuffed with basil, onion, jack and feta cheeses. Crab cakes, homemade cheddar biscuits, and braised baby bok choy.)
 (Caramelized nectarines with a homemade honey yogurt sauce)

When I don't have time to cook

I am crazy for football.  There is nothing I like more than a Sunday afternoon with lots of yummy treats, my hubby, and a game or two on the flat screen.

When my husband and I first got married we had what we called "Football Sundays".  

Original, I know.  

We were busy folks being pulled in a million directions, so on Sundays we took the phone off the hook(pre-cell phone days), closed the blinds, got Chinese food, and watched endless hours of football,  in the buff(no pics).  We were newlyweds after all.

Over the years our rituals have changed a bit.  The food is more traditional football fare, we are both texting friends about the scores, we have at least one kid hanging on us, we are lucky to sit down and see 15 consecutive minutes of any game, we are fully clothed, but the games are always on and we love it!!

I adore reading.  I am really a home body.  I go out and about meeting friends and being social, but being home is my all time favorite and if there is some peace and quiet where I can grab a glass of unsweet tea and a book in my comfy chair...HEAVEN!


I like putting shingles on roofs. Being up on a roof, is therapeutic for me.  I love the heat and the sound of the hammer on the nail head.  I have not roofed many roofs in my day, but when I get a chance to do it, I do.


(I like it so much, I have a framed shingle hanging over my couch)

I like welding. Again, not something I do often and not something I am particularly good at, but I would do it a lot more if I could.

I like to run.  I get giddy running.  My workout partner can tell you how goofy excited I get after a good long run.

I like spending time with my friends.  Meeting them for a girl's weekend or a movie, or just having them over to my house or an afternoon at theirs is a treat for me.  I don't have to be doing anything special, I just like being with them. 


I like to text.  The first time I ever sent a text was about 2 years ago.  I was very slow on the uptake, but now I am borderline obsessed.  I can put my phone down and I do, but I like having the option of sending off a quick thought to friends.  When I see something funny or am annoyed, it is nice to have an outlet, but not have to stop what I am doing for a long email or time consuming phone call.

I like camping, in a tent, and eating food directly out of a box or a can.
( Ok, we are just camping under our table, but still we are in a tent, of sorts)

I like getting dressed up all fancy and eating insanely expensive food at a posh restaurant.

I like any of the above activities with my kids and/or husband the most. If I can do any of those things with them, then I am unbearably happy.





3 Comments:

At July 28, 2011 at 12:03 PM , Blogger poniegirl004 said...

I have plenty of shingles that need to be put up and a lot if welding that the hubby could use some help with so come on down! There are a lot of things that I used to love but now with kids and a change in life focus they just don't seem as important as they once did. I still love to horseback ride and I do it as often as I can. I would love to be able to get into the competitive mounted shooting - I think that would be a blast! I love to fish- give me a pole and I can sit on the bank for hours. I love to go crabbin' the have a big ole' crab boil. I love to read - especially true histories. I love playin' with the boys - either just building blocks on the livingroom floor or outside in the dirt. I just love spending time with all my boys - even the one I married!

 
At July 29, 2011 at 4:08 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

I love crabbin' too. That is so good old fashion summer fun! I do not get to indulge in what I love all that much either. My life as a mommy keeps me occupied much of the time. Swim team, volleyball, homework, PTA, laundry, playing, etc. That is why it has been years since I have welded, but I love it. I have seen some programs on competitive mounted shooting...very cool.

 
At August 8, 2011 at 6:57 PM , Blogger Molly B. said...

I love the framed shingle!! :D I think that says a lot about who you are, in and of itself. You're unique, bold, and not afraid to step outside the norm. You're confident in what you like or don't like - and whether others like it or not doesn't bother you...Does that sound about right? :) I also love the "table tent"! Those days pass way too quickly. I suppose when the kids are grown, one can still choose to eat your meal under the tented table, but somehow it ijust sn't as fun! Enjoyed the post. Sounds like you like to Live, Laugh, Love! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home