This page has moved to a new address.

A Night Out With The Boys

A Girl and Her Gun: A Night Out With The Boys

Thursday, July 12, 2012

A Night Out With The Boys

Last night the guys from my husband's office were meeting for a little rendezvous at a local spot and they invited me along. My husband assured me there would be other people of the female persuasion in attendance, but as per the usual, that turned out not to be the case. In fact other than the waitress I was the only gal in the entire place most of the night.

I have met these men my husband works with, but other than a brief conversation at the gun show or the polite chit chat that is required at the company Christmas party, I haven't socialized with them. I am the closest with Arete, of course, but even he and I have not really spent much time together outside of training, so it was fun to hang with them.

Here was the group make up...my hubby, me, Arete, and 2 other guys, let's call them Esquire and Tiger.  There are an eclectic group. One is a very casual shorts, muscle shirt, covered in tats dude, one is a t-shirt, shorts, tennis shoe guy and one is a youngster, under 25 that looks like he is right off the cover of Esquire, thus the name. He wore a bright yellow shirt and tie. I think he came straight from the office, but the point is, he was pretty spiffy looking. Then there was me and the hubs. All very different from each other, but even so, every single one of them is a gun person. Some shoot more than others, but  all Second Amendment people. I even noticed Esquire had a knife and I think a flashlight in his right front pocket. I thought, "Nice guys." "They like guns and knives, all have jobs, even though I am the only woman in attendance, how bad can this be?"

Hold that thought.

Everything was going along swimmingly until I inadvertently made a comment about Tiger and something like, Hey, roll tide boy. Tiger is from Alabama, so that seemed logical. Logical yes, smart, no. He is from Alabama, but and this a big but, he attended Auburn University. If you know anything at all about college football then you see my problem. That. Was. Not. A. Good. Thing. To. Say.

It was so bad that not a single person at the table had my back. Not Arete and not my husband. I had hung myself and I was going to have to untie the noose all by my lonesome. I apologized profusely, I begged, I cried, I pleaded, to no avail. I was desperate and in the fight of my life. I composed myself, did some tactical breathing. I remembered that I had trained for this very moment. The words of Sir Winston Churchill echoed in my mind...

Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.

Eventually I did prevail and victory was indeed mine. Drinks were spilled, chairs were knocked over. It was a long battle. So long that it's little vague in my mind as to exactly how I accomplished victory, but I am pretty sure at some point I offered to purchase one of these.

Once back in the good graces of Tiger and the rest of the crew, things went fairly smooth the remainder of the evening. We talked about Tim Tebow, murder, politics, politicians, broke ribs, Belgium, guns, plumbers, gun laws, and I listened to the boys talk a lot of shop. All and all not a bad way to spend a Wednesday evening.





26 Comments:

At July 12, 2012 at 5:52 AM , Blogger Old NFO said...

LOL, yep, MAJOR tactical error there... :-)

 
At July 12, 2012 at 6:00 AM , Blogger Paul Erickson said...

As an Alabama resident, I see exactly what you did wrong. When I'm asked about Alabama or Auburn as my school of preference, I piss em all off and say "TEXAS!"

Wanna really piss em off? Ask em how much they paid Cam Newton to play at Auburn. Wanna make em laugh? Call Alabama the best college team money can buy. :)

I LOVE football season in Alabama (rolling eyes)

 
At July 12, 2012 at 6:02 AM , Blogger Paul Erickson said...

LOL. Glad you had a good time though. And glad to see (hopefully) nobody had firearms on them while drinking.

 
At July 12, 2012 at 6:04 AM , Anonymous Mrs. Groundhog said...

Lol, I love how you tell a story. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall to watch it all go down.

 
At July 12, 2012 at 6:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I can say is FLIPPIN> and that rope was not as long as you let on, although A Girl did a fine job extracting her feet and neck form that rope. She is a quick one when she chooses to be. (NOTE to self she is holding back during training)

Arete.

 
At July 12, 2012 at 6:15 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

I'm still learning old NFO. Thankfully my recovery time is getting faster:)

 
At July 12, 2012 at 6:16 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Lol, well I wasn't trying to piss anyone off, but this is good information to know in case I ever want to in the future.

 
At July 12, 2012 at 6:19 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Crap...not to self, don't socialize with the guy who trains with you:)

 
At July 12, 2012 at 6:54 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Yeah the hubby is also trying to downplay the evenings events as he left me there to flounder on my own too.

 
At July 12, 2012 at 7:05 AM , Blogger Erin Palette said...

Frankly, I'd like to hear more about this prostitute you offered to buy (They sell 'em now? I thought it was more of a rental agreement.)

 
At July 12, 2012 at 7:14 AM , Blogger Beth of Red Barn Farm said...

Ohhh I lived in Bama for 4 years...Huge mistake!

Home games where they play each other were nightmares. After the first few games, I learned the routes to the stadiums and avoided them like the plague. SUV's with big long orange and black tiger tails hanging out the tailgates. Geesh, it's football (college at that) Now give me a Bears vs Packers game anyday! I only root for 2 teams, Packers and anyone that is playing the Bears!

 
At July 12, 2012 at 7:18 AM , Blogger Robert McDonald said...

Funny how even in the US there are some serious cultural landmines to step on that that average person knows nothing about. Even though I'd visited Alabama many times I was unaware of the rivalry, probably because I visited in the summer. Upon moving here I was told to pick a side. I always like tigers and my family was all Alabama fans so I decided to be a rebel. The older I get the less I care since I attended neither school, but being a fan is a lifestyle for a lot of people.

And I agree with Erin. There are some juicy details missing from this story.

 
At July 12, 2012 at 7:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is okay to socialize and be friendly, just know that I listen, watch and see most things, but I know you know this so you’re just testing me to see how long you can string out the training then beat me down and leave me in the dirt. Don’t worry next week will be a good training week. PROMISE.

Arete.

 
At July 12, 2012 at 7:50 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Yes, your observation abilities are very keen.

Can't wait to train. I am not afraid of you:)

 
At July 12, 2012 at 7:51 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

I have no idea who was armed or not armed and silliness doesn't always require alcohol:)

 
At July 12, 2012 at 7:53 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

You will probably not be surprised to learn that this will be the first deal I broker with a prostitute. I am not up on the nomenclature. Rent does seem like the more appropriate term.

 
At July 12, 2012 at 7:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad your not afraid of me, that would eb counter productive, besides your a Bad A$$!

Arete

 
At July 12, 2012 at 7:59 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Female persuasion? You were talked into it? :-P

The reason prostitutes are paid is so they'll leave and not become permanent fixtures!

gfa

 
At July 12, 2012 at 8:03 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Yeah, people do get all worked about things that don't matter, but then again, that's what makes life fun. I love passionate people and those who have a zest for life as for the details...it's gonna have to be a Vegas-like thing...some of what happens with my peeps stays with my peeps:)

 
At July 12, 2012 at 8:06 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

I root for the Raiders and whoever is playing the Steelers:)

 
At July 12, 2012 at 8:32 AM , Blogger God, Gals, Guns, Grub said...

When in Ohio, if you let your dog take a Michigan in somebody's front yard... it's fightin' time...

Dann in Ohio

 
At July 12, 2012 at 9:24 AM , Blogger Garand Gal said...

I lived near Auburn for a while. What's this Roll Tide thing?
Guns Beer and Hookers. Some people call the cops, Agirl calls it Wednesday. :D

 
At July 12, 2012 at 9:31 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Well, there is that:)

 
At July 12, 2012 at 9:32 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Lol, nice.

 
At July 12, 2012 at 9:39 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

The Alabama football team is the Crimson Tide and the fans say "roll tide". Alabama and Auburn have a tiny little revelry going.

Lol, exactly!

P.S. I am not going to say if I was drinking or if I was armed, but I will say I don't break the law, ever and I don't believe alcohol and firearms mix. If you read my blog then you probably can figure it out.

 
At July 12, 2012 at 10:34 AM , Blogger RabidAlien said...

So far, I haven't seen many problems that couldn't be resolved by the careful and judicious application of a pair of hookers. Maybe three, depending on the severity of the causal issue. Case in point...the current conflict in the middle east would be resolved quickly by marching a bunch of half-naked prostitutes with several layers of bacon wrapped in strategic, non-covering locations. Yep. We'd be good, then.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home