This page has moved to a new address.

Eating Only What We Hunt

A Girl and Her Gun: Eating Only What We Hunt

Friday, May 27, 2011

Eating Only What We Hunt

I love, love, love to cook. I think I am pretty good at it and my family and friends seem to agree. For a long time I have been conscious about the food I buy in term of how healthy it is for our bodies, but also how healthy it is for the land. I am a firm believer in buying local and in sustainable farming and eating. I buy fruits and vegtables from local farms and eat fish that is not endangered. I try to buy organic chicken and meat. I have grown my own fruits, vegetables and herbs for years, but I have never thought about hunting. Well, I have thought about and what I thought was "EEWWWWWWWWWW, who would do that?"

When I bought my gun, I started thinking about killing something and preparing my mind, so I started watching hunting shows. Lots and lots of hunting shows. I am kind of addicted now and I might have a "Crush" on both Lee and Tiffany from the Outdoor Channel, but that is another post.

Anyway, when I started watching the shows, I was looking to get more comfortable with blood and death, but the more I watched the more I learned. I learned how passionate these people are about the animals and about taking care of the animals long term well being. I learned that they use every part of the animal and that they only kill what they can consume.

Then I started reading more and more about chefs who only cook what they can grow or kill. A few weeks ago I came across this article and was intrigued and inspired.

Georgia Pellegrini: Author, Food Artisan, Huntress

Then today I read this...

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/05/26/mark-zuckerberg-says-hes-only-eating-meat-he-kills/

Now, I can't really start doing this tomorrow as I have never hunted, do not know anyone who hunts, do not own land and of course, I have absolutely no clue what I am doing, but it is something I will continue to educate myself on and hopeful it will be a goal I can someday accomplish.

1 Comments:

At January 18, 2012 at 4:56 AM , Blogger Mortalis09 said...

i'm in the process of learning to hunt myself - so far i've only done pheasant hunting at http://www.rosehillgamepreserve.com/rates/ nice folks there too

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home