This page has moved to a new address.

A Conversation With M

A Girl and Her Gun: A Conversation With M

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

A Conversation With M

M- Mom did you write a post?

Me- Yes, I did.  I talked about you.

M- Can I read it?

Me- It has some language.

She giggles.

M- Thought you didn't believe in coddling. 

Me- Funny.  There is a difference.  Not everything is appropriate for a child to read or hear.

M- I know.  Can I read it?

I let her read it. 

M- That is a really good post mom.

Me-  Do you have anything to say about what I wrote about you?

M- Like what?

Me- Like maybe you could give yourself a break.

M- No. How will I get into a good college or get a sports scholarship if I don't work hard and make sacrifices.

Me- You won't.  You do have to try and work hard and make sacrifices, I am just saying that maybe if you do all that and you fall short, it could just be something that stinks instead of an attack on your character.  You don't have to be perfect to BE perfect.

M- I know.  I am not a perfectionist, I just don't like to make any mistakes.

I giggle.

Me- Have you looked up the definition of perfectionist recently? 

M- So today at school Billy was flirting with  Suzy and Mary was upset because she likes Billy and I thought why do girls waste their time on boys at this age... She spend the next 20 minutes telling me about her day. 


13 Comments:

At May 30, 2012 at 1:55 PM , Blogger The Lowry Place said...

Kids are awesome!

 
At May 30, 2012 at 2:07 PM , Blogger Midwest Patriot said...

Don't you just the hard left turn conversations tend to take? Then they can take a hard right, if you're lucky, a uturn back to the original topic.

 
At May 30, 2012 at 2:08 PM , Blogger poniegirl004 said...

Sweet -

 
At May 30, 2012 at 2:49 PM , Blogger Tango Juliet said...

The only people who don't make mistakes are people who don't do anything.

Gotta be able to laugh at yourself now n' then M!!!

 
At May 30, 2012 at 3:08 PM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Preach it! Usually she is laughing at me:)

 
At May 30, 2012 at 3:09 PM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

I know. Lol, kids:)

 
At May 30, 2012 at 3:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet!

 
At May 30, 2012 at 5:09 PM , Blogger Old NFO said...

ONLY 20 minutes??? :-) Glad you're able to 'have' those discussions, and hope it continues!

 
At May 30, 2012 at 7:14 PM , Blogger 45er said...

Conversations with kids are such a roller-coaster ride. Sometimes I just sit down with mine, buckle up and enjoy the ride.

 
At May 31, 2012 at 2:48 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

That was round one....she gave us round two at dinner and we talked for about an hour before bed. Very fortunate she likes to talk to us!

 
At May 31, 2012 at 2:49 AM , Blogger agirlandhergun said...

Oh myngiah she is hoot. Good, good, kid!

 
At May 31, 2012 at 6:18 AM , Blogger Paul Erickson said...

I admire her drive to be the best she can be. But she must know that she WILL make mistakes or get something wrong - and that it is okay to do so. Nobody is perfect, and those that claim to be are mistaken.

She seems like the type of kid that even when she is not at the top of her game (and only gets a 95%), she's doing better than 99% of those out there.

As long as she does her best, and KNOWS she's given it her best, she'll do just fine. :)

The rest of that conversations sounds like a soap opera that I'd hear from my daughter... lol

 
At May 31, 2012 at 7:30 AM , Blogger Mazie said...

What a great exchange between you two. It's really nice that she wants to read what you write. When I was writing poetry and short stories a way back, my daughters had zero interest in any of it. I had to learn to not take it personally. Just this past week-end though, my youngest daughter fired a gun for the first time. She loved it! Here's something we can share and have in common together. She's also very proud of her Mama for buying and learning how to own and shoot a gun. Thanks for all these wonderful posts you've been sharing! I'm lovin' it entirely!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home